Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains
Eastlake, OH: After one inning, it looked like another long night for the South Bend Cubs. For the second straight day, it was a 4-0 lead for the Lake County Captains after just their first time up at the plate.
After two innings, the Captains stretched it to a 6-1 lead. Looking like they were sailing their way to a series win, the Captains ran into choppy water as the Cubs took the rubber match 10-9.
In the top of the 3rd, Rafael Narea hit his first home run on American soil and his first professional home run since 2015. The Cubs cut it to just a two run lead as the game went to the bottom of the 3rd. But again, the Captains had an answer. Lake County scored three more runs against starter Javier Assad, who gave up eight earned runs through four innings of work.
Lake County was in the driver's seat. But then the Cubs found their groove.
In the top of the 7th, Delvin Zinn singled in a run, but South Bend left the bases loaded with the tying run at the plate. They did not miss that opportunity again in the 8th inning, however.
The 8th started with a pair of doubles by Brandon Hughes and Cam Balego. After a Chris Singleton walk, Narea came to the plate again. The 20-year-old hit his second home run of the day and brought in three more RBI. The Cubs had tied it at 9-9.
Narea finished the night 3/6 with a season high five RBI. As the rubber game transitioned to extra innings, the Cubs stayed in the game thanks to Brian Glowicki. The Cubs closer tossed three innings of shutout ball and struck out three batters.
The eventual game winning run in the 10th came again thanks to Narea. On a fielder's choice retrieved by the shortstop Miguel Eladio, Zinn scored the Cubs 10th run and Narea reached second on a throwing error. In the bottom half of the 10th, Glowicki shut the door and earned his fourth win of the year.
With the victory, the Cubs end the quick three game road trip with a series win two games out of three. They will head home sporting a 60-68 record going into a four game set against division rival Fort Wayne. First pitch tomorrow night from Four Winds Field is set for 7:35.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Championship Open House at Four Winds Field October 22
- South Bend Cubs Release 2020 Schedule
- The Star-Studded and Banner Raising Summer
- Chicago Cubs Name Brennen Davis Minor League Player of the Year
- South Bend Cubs Win Midwest League Championship by Sweeping Clinton