Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand
GENEVA, Ill. - Just last week, the Kane County Cougars (33-25, 68-59) extended their longest winning streak of the year to six straight wins. They matched that with a 9-6 victory over the Peoria Chiefs (32-25, 71-57) Wednesday night from Northwestern Medicine Field. Along with a Beloit loss, the Cougars drop their magic number to 11 with 11 games remaining on the season.
For the sixth straight game, the Cougars struck first when Ryan Dobson singled home Ryan Grotjohn in the second inning. It was the third inning when the Cougars exploded offensively.
Angel Rondon (3-2) loaded the bases on three free passes, before a wild pitch brought home Jancarlos Cintron for a 2-0 Cougars' advantage. Then Ryan Grotjohn launched a three-run homer for his second straight three RBI day. A few batters later Jose Caballero belted the inning's second homer with a two-run shot for a 7-0 Cougar lead.
Peoria first found the scoreboard in the fifth inning. In the sixth, the Chiefs did the most damage against the Cougars' pitching staff in nearly three weeks. Julio Rodriguez recorded a bases clearing double off Cole Bartlett (5-2) to bring Peoria closer 8-4. The Chiefs nearly grabbed another run, but Yan Sanchez' outfield assist threw out Rodriguez at the plate.
Cintron picked up one more RBI before in the eighth inning before Peoria collected two more runs off of Kyler Stout in the ninth.
Abraham Almonte worked two scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth frames.
The Cougars will look for a perfect homestand on Thursday in the finale against Peoria. A couple of left-handers will take the mound as Jake Dahlberg (3-1, 2.42) will throw against Cougar Lane Ratliff (6-1, 3.06). First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or visit kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.