Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday
Geneva, IL - The Peoria Chiefs got an eighth-inning three-run homer from catcher Julio Rodriguez to beat the Kane County Cougars 4-3 on Thursday night.
Trailing 2-0 the Chiefs got on the board against Kane County starter Lane Ratliff in the fourth inning. First baseman Terrance Connelly robbed Nolan Gorman of extra bases with a leaping catch of a screaming line drive. Luken Baker followed with a two-out double and scored on a double to right-center by Zach Kirtley.
Down 3-1 the Chiefs flipped the script in the top of the eighth. With two outs and nobody on, Baker worked a walk and Kirtley walked on the 10th pitch of a plate appearance against Tyler Keele. Luis Castillo came in out of the KC bullpen and Rodriguez greeted him with a three-run home run to the scoreboard to put the Chiefs on top 4-3.
Jake Dahlberg (4-1) earned the win as he allowed three runs on eight hits over seven innings. He struck out three, walked two and induced two double plays. Ben Yokley retired all three batters he faced in the eighth inning with one strikeout. Kodi Whitley racked up his ninth save of the season with one shutout inning in which he allowed one hit and struck out one.
Notes: Game time was 2:57...The Cougars lead the season series 8-7, 5-4 in Geneva...The Chiefs are back home Friday for a regular-season ending, nine-game homestand that begins with a 5:00 p.m. doubleheader against Beloit...The first game was suspended in Wisconsin July 1 with the Chiefs leading 5-0 in the 2nd inning...Friday is Fright Night with appearances by Spider Hill...There will be post-game Fireworks...Tickets are available online at www.peoriachiefs.com or at the Dozer Park Box Office...The broadcast, with Voice of the Chiefs Nathan Baliva and broadcast assistant Danny Frey, can be heard starting with the pregame show at 4:55 p.m. on www.peoriachiefs.com/listenlive and is also available on the Peoria Chiefs Network in the Tune-In Radio App...Video of the game is available to subscribers on MiLB.TV...Chiefs Playoff tickets are also on sale with Dugout and Field Box Seats available for $9 as the Chiefs host Quad Cities in Game One Wednesday, September 5...The Chiefs announced their entire 2019 schedule last Friday and the entire schedule is available at www.peoriachiefs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Rivera Burns Dragons in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Grind out Extra Innings 10-9 Victory over Captains - South Bend Cubs
- Late Rally Pushes Snappers Within Half Game of Wild Card - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Homer Three Times, Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Rally Late to Beat Rattlers 2-1 in Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars' Win Streak Snapped at Six - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Sweep Lugnuts with 7-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Sanders slugs first pro homer in 4-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Leads to Tenth Inning Win for River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Beat Kernels 5-4 to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps Edge Dragons in 10 Innings, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Sweep Gives Loons Playoff Cushion - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Win 4-3 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Declare Dayton Celebration Coming to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Great Lakes (Game 127/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 24-31 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: August 24-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Stay Perfect on Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Honor SICSA Pet Adoption Center as "Community All-Star" - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Squander Gem from Cosgrove in Walk-Off Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense and Enlow Lead Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Turn Tables with Seven-Run 4th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silva's Walkoff, Three-Run Homer Beats River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Game Two 8-4 to Kernels - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.