TinCaps Game Notes: April 11 vs. Dayton (Game 8)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (5-2) v. Dayton Dragons (2-5)
RHP Efraín Contreras vs. RHP Jhon De Jesus
Thursday, April 11 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, IN) - 7:05 PM (Game 8/140)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 | MiLB.TV)
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON: The TinCaps demolished the Dragons, 12-2. Ryan Weathers struck out 8 with 0 walks in 6 innings of 2-run ball. Meanwhile, Fort Wayne tallied 10 hits and took advantage of 9 walks and 2 hit by pitches. Xavier Edwards and Grant Little both tallied 3 hits. Every TinCap reached base at least once.
GREAT START: At 5-2, the TinCaps are tied with the Lake County Captains for the best record in the Midwest League's Eastern Division. This is Fort Wayne's best record through 7 games since 2011, when the 'Caps also started 5-2. The best start in franchise history came in '09 when Fort Wayne began the year 10-0.
260 TO THE SHOW: 2017 TinCaps pitcher Pedro Avila has been called up by the Padres to make his big league debut tonight against the Diamondbacks in Arizona. When Avila starts, he'll become the 176th former Fort Wayne player to reach the majors, and the 4th to debut with the Padres this season (joining SS Fernando Tatis Jr., RHP Chris Paddack, and LHP Nick Margevicius). 13 of the 25 Padres on their active roster have appeared in at least 1 game with the TinCaps-6 more are on the Injured List. During Avila's time with the 'Caps, he most famously set the franchise record for strikeouts in a game with 17 at Great Lakes on Aug. 8 that summer. (The previous franchise record was 15, set by LaTroy Hawkins in 1993.) Avila made 14 starts in the Midwest League, going 7-1 with a 3.05 ERA. He had 117 strikeouts in 85.2 IP.
ROSTER MOVES: Earlier today the Padres placed infielder Justin Lopez on Fort Wayne's 7-Day Injured List with right wrist inflammation. Also, lefty reliever Trent Shelton was transferred to Extended Spring Training. Meanwhile, righty reliever Korey Anderson and outfielder/first baseman Michael Curry have been added to the team's roster from Extended. See pages 9 and 4 for more.
LEAGUE LEADERS: The TinCaps entered today tied for the MWL lead in runs scored (44, 6.29/G)... the 'Caps are 2nd to only the West Division's Peoria for hits with 66... Fort Wayne is hitting .268, also only 2nd to Peoria... On the mound, the TinCaps' 4.11 SO/W ratio is 2nd to just Quad Cities of the West.
INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE LEADERS: Ryan Weathers has a league-best 17 strikeouts... Infielder Xavier Edwards and outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton are tied for the league lead in runs scored (8)... Outfielder Agustin Ruiz ranks tied for 2nd in hits (11) with Xavier Edwards and outfielder Grant Little are tied for 6th in hits (10)... Agustin Ruiz is tied for 2nd in doubles (4), while catcher Blake Hunt is tied for 6th in doubles (3)... Infielder Luis Almanzar is tied for 2nd in home runs (2)... Luis Almanzar is 2nd in RBIs with 9... Blake Hunt is tied for 3rd in RBIs (7)... Agustin Ruiz is tied for 7th in RBIs (6)... Agustin Ruiz is tied for 4th in total bases (15)... Outfielder Jawuan Harris and Dwanya Williams-Sutton are tied for 6th in walks (6)... Xavier Edwards, Jawuan Harris, and Grant Little are tied for 2nd in stolen bases (3)... Grant Little is 5th in OBP (.500)... Luis Almanzar is 5th in SLG (.632) and Agustin Ruiz is teid for 7th in SLG (.600)... Agustin Ruiz is tied for 2nd in AVG (.440)... Grant Little is 5th in AVG (.417)... Agustin Ruiz is 9th in OPS (1.044) and Luis Almanzar is 10th in OPS (1.041).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Late Inning Rally Leads Cubs to 2-1 Series Finale Win at Great Lakes - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally to Cap Off Four-Game Series Sweep, Off to Best Start in Decade - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Scores 4 in 8th to Top Dragons, 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Perfect Not Enough for Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Rained Out in Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs/Rattlers Rained out Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugnuts Fall, 7-3, Ending Homestand; Next Up: Lansing Ignite - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 11 vs. Dayton (Game 8) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Win Series over Snappers in 6-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Series Finale Washed Out - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps Take Series in Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rain Washes Away Series Finale in Clinton - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers lose 6-5 to Bees Despite 11 Hit Effort - Beloit Snappers
- Derek Molina and Gabe Snyder join Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- INF Austin Dennis transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Again Partner with Busey Bank for Teacher of the Year Award - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 12-14 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview for April 12-17 - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Take Series Advantage in 4-2 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 25 at South Bend (Game 20)
- TinCaps Seek Nominees for Military Salutes in 2019
- Hunt Homers, But Fort Wayne Drops the Series Finale
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 24 vs. Bowling Green (Game 19)
- TinCaps Continue Military Appreciation Night in 2019