TinCaps Fall To Lugnuts In Four Hour Affair
LANSING, Mich. - The Fort Wayne TinCaps fell to the Lansing Lugnuts (Oakland Athletics affiliate) on Friday night at Jackson Field, 9-6. The game lasted 4 hours, 2 minutes, which is the first time a TinCaps game has gone over four hours this season.
The Lugnuts (36-40) plated the first run of the game in the bottom of the second, when designated hitter D.J. Lee hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score third baseman Jordan Díaz.
A half-inning later, the TinCaps (35-41) equalized. After Lugnuts starter Reid Birlingmair loaded the bases with three consecutive walks, Fort Wayne first baseman Luis Almanzar lined an RBI single into left. The TinCaps then took the lead in the same inning on a wild pitch, plating right fielder Tirso Ornelas from third.
In the bottom of the third, the erratic pitching continued. TinCaps starter Connor Lehmann, in his TinCaps debut, allowed the first five runners of the inning to reach, including shortstop Cobie Vance and left fielder Patrick McColl, who came in to score. After he recorded an out, Lugnuts right fielder Lester Madden, Jr. drilled a three-run double to left center to empty the bases. Second baseman Yerdel Vargas then singled in Madden to take a 7-2 lead, and the Lugnuts tagged Lehmann for six earned runs in the outing.
The TinCaps cut the deficit to three on a two-run single in the top of the fourth from designated hitter Jonny Homza. In the sixth, they added two more on a sacrifice fly from second baseman Justin Lopez and another RBI hit from Almanzar.
Lansing added an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh on a safety squeeze laid down by Madden to make it 8-6, and a sacrifice fly in the eighth extended their lead to three, which is where it held.
Next Game: Saturday, July 31 @ Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- Fort Wayne Probable Starter: RHP Carlos Guarate
- Lansing Probable Starter: RHP Colin Peluse
Listen: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Kernels Stop Wisconsin 6-5 in Eleven Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Veneziano's Gem, Means' Walk-Off Propels Q.C. Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs Go Big Early to Knock off TinCaps, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Rally Past Chiefs in Extra Innings - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Prevail in 11 Innings, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Skelton Launches Two Home Runs as Snappers Win Back-to-Back Extra-Inning Games Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Top Dragons 8-5 on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Strikeout 20 Dragons in Comeback Win - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Fall To Lugnuts In Four Hour Affair - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pages Scores All Five, Series Even - Great Lakes Loons
- Pages Turn 'Caps to 5-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Roster Transaction: Trio of Lugnuts Traded to Washington - Lansing Lugnuts
- Date for Green & Gold Charity Softball Challenge Changed to Sunday, August 15 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: July 30 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hometown Heroes Program to Recreate Missed Holidays for Servicemen and Women - Dayton Dragons
- Hellinger Joins Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Doubleheader Between South Bend and Quad Cities Now Scheduled for August 21 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts to Honor Michigan Teacher of the Year Leah Porter on Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons to Spotlight "Dayton Live" in Second "Rebuilding the Arts" Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Falls to Quad Cities, 11-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Fire Alarm Delays Bandits' Monster Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Top Cedar Rapids 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Eight-Run 12th Inning Launches Snappers Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.