Kernels Prevail in 11 Innings, 6-5
GRAND CHUTE, Wis. - The Cedar Rapids Kernels defeated the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in a 6-5, 11-inning victory Friday at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Cedar Rapids (43-33) nearly registered a wire-to-wire win before Wisconsin (36-39) pushed the contest into extra innings.
Edouard Julien opened Friday's game with a bang. On a full-count pitch, Julien belted a leadoff home run to left-center that produced a 1-0 Kernels advantage.
Cedar Rapids increased its lead to 3-0 in the top of the sixth inning. Julien doubled and scored on Wander Javier's RBI single. Javier came home later in the inning when Seth Gray delivered an RBI single of his own.
The Timber Rattlers nearly tied the game within their half of the sixth. David Hamilton hit a triple that brought in Korry Howell. Joe Gray Jr. followed with a run-scoring single but was thrown out at second base to end the inning with the Kernels still in front, 3-2.
In the eighth, both teams tallied sacrifice flies. Max Smith drove home Alex Isola for a 4-2 edge before Gray's fly allowed Nick Kahle to score and cut the difference to 4-3.
Wisconsin was down to its last out when it forced a 4-4 tie during the ninth. The Timber Rattlers were still alive after Carlos Rodriguez's two-out single, and Kahle blooped a single to right field that evened the score.
The Kernels and Timber Rattlers each plated one run within the 10th. Jair Camargo put Cedar Rapids ahead on an RBI single, but Thomas Dillard tied the game at 5-5 with a bases-loaded walk.
Daniel Ozoria scored the decisive run in the 11th inning. He was a pinch-runner at second base when an error during a potential inning-ending lineout helped him come home and lift Cedar Rapids to its 6-5 triumph.
Melvi Acosta (2-1) ended up with a win and a blown save Friday. He was preceded by Zach Featherstone and Luis Rijo who were both credited with holds. Erik Manoah Jr. closed the contest for the Kernels by striking out the side and earned his first Cedar Rapids save.
Wilton, Iowa native Evan Reifert (0-3) yielded two unearned runs in extra innings and was charged for the loss as Wisconsin fell to 0-5 in extra-inning tilts this year.
Up next, the Kernels will play the Timber Rattlers at 6:35 p.m. Saturday in the penultimate contest of this six-game series. Right-hander Cody Laweryson (0-2, 4.01) is scheduled to start for Cedar Rapids, and Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will have the broadcast on www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids hosts the Quad Cities River Bandits for its next homestand from August 3 through August 8. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Kernels Stop Wisconsin 6-5 in Eleven Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Veneziano's Gem, Means' Walk-Off Propels Q.C. Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs Go Big Early to Knock off TinCaps, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Rally Past Chiefs in Extra Innings - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Prevail in 11 Innings, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Skelton Launches Two Home Runs as Snappers Win Back-to-Back Extra-Inning Games Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Top Dragons 8-5 on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Strikeout 20 Dragons in Comeback Win - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Fall To Lugnuts In Four Hour Affair - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pages Scores All Five, Series Even - Great Lakes Loons
- Pages Turn 'Caps to 5-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Roster Transaction: Trio of Lugnuts Traded to Washington - Lansing Lugnuts
- Date for Green & Gold Charity Softball Challenge Changed to Sunday, August 15 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: July 30 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hometown Heroes Program to Recreate Missed Holidays for Servicemen and Women - Dayton Dragons
- Hellinger Joins Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Doubleheader Between South Bend and Quad Cities Now Scheduled for August 21 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts to Honor Michigan Teacher of the Year Leah Porter on Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons to Spotlight "Dayton Live" in Second "Rebuilding the Arts" Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Falls to Quad Cities, 11-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Fire Alarm Delays Bandits' Monster Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Top Cedar Rapids 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Eight-Run 12th Inning Launches Snappers Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.