Captains Top Dragons 8-5 on Friday
Dayton, Ohio - Three Lake County pitchers combined to strike out a stadium record 20 Dayton batters as the Captains came from behind to defeat the Dragons 8-5 on Friday night. A crowd of 7,691 was in attendance at Day Air Ballpark.
Lake County starting pitcher Daniel Espino recorded 12 strikeouts in four innings. Espino's fastball to the first batter of the opening inning reached 100 mph, and he threw many pitches in the 97-99 mph range. However, the Dragons reached Espino for three runs in the third inning and jumped to a lead. Juan Martinez delivered a two-out, two-run triple to put Dayton in front, 3-2. The Dragons added another run in the fifth inning and led 4-2.
Lake County scored four runs in the top of the seventh to take a 6-4 lead, and after the Dragons scored one in the bottom of the seventh on Jacob Hurtubise's run-scoring single to make it 6-5, Lake County added two more in the ninth to close out the scoring.
Dragons pitchers were haunted by nine walks in the game while limiting Lake County to just five hits. Dragons starting pitcher Jacques Pucheu worked five innings, allowing two runs on just one hit with four walks and four strikeouts. He left the game with a 4-2 lead.
Major league pitcher Michael Feliz made his second injury rehabilitation assignment with the Dragons and pitched a perfect inning, notching two strikeouts. Relievers Tyler Garbee (1-2) and Pedro Garcia combined to pitch the final three innings, surrendering five walks and six runs.
The Dragons had six hits. Martinez's triple extended his hitting streak to seven games. Reyny Reyes had two hits for Dayton.
The Race: The Dragons dropped to second place, one-half game behind Great Lakes in the East Division of the High-A Central League.
Up Next: The Dragons (41-34) host Lake County (40-36) on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at Day Air Ballpark in the fifth game of a six-game home series. Carson Spiers (3-1, 3.94) will pitch for Dayton against Lake County's Hunter Gaddis (2-6, 5.26).
On the Air: Dragons games on Saturday and Sunday will be televised on Dayton's CW (Channel 26; Spectrum Cable channels 13 and 1013). All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on 980 WONE AM Fox Sports. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
For Dragons 2021 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287 or go to daytondragons.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Kernels Stop Wisconsin 6-5 in Eleven Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Veneziano's Gem, Means' Walk-Off Propels Q.C. Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs Go Big Early to Knock off TinCaps, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Rally Past Chiefs in Extra Innings - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Prevail in 11 Innings, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Skelton Launches Two Home Runs as Snappers Win Back-to-Back Extra-Inning Games Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Top Dragons 8-5 on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Strikeout 20 Dragons in Comeback Win - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Fall To Lugnuts In Four Hour Affair - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pages Scores All Five, Series Even - Great Lakes Loons
- Pages Turn 'Caps to 5-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Roster Transaction: Trio of Lugnuts Traded to Washington - Lansing Lugnuts
- Date for Green & Gold Charity Softball Challenge Changed to Sunday, August 15 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: July 30 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hometown Heroes Program to Recreate Missed Holidays for Servicemen and Women - Dayton Dragons
- Hellinger Joins Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Doubleheader Between South Bend and Quad Cities Now Scheduled for August 21 - South Bend Cubs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts to Honor Michigan Teacher of the Year Leah Porter on Sunday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons to Spotlight "Dayton Live" in Second "Rebuilding the Arts" Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Falls to Quad Cities, 11-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Fire Alarm Delays Bandits' Monster Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Top Cedar Rapids 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Eight-Run 12th Inning Launches Snappers Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday