ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie
AVON, OH - After an extra inning 3-2 victory in game one, the ThunderBolts fell in the second half of their doubleheader with the Lake Erie Crushers 3-0 at Sprenger Stadium Thursday night.
Lake Erie (47-46) loaded the bases on a walk and two hit batters in the first inning of game one. They got their first run on the board thanks to a Terry McClure RBI groundout.
It took until the fifth for the ThunderBolts (40-53) to respond. Larry Balkwill walked and stood at third with two outs when Omar Obregon singled him home.
The score remained tied into extra innings and the Bolts started the ninth inning with a runner at second base due to the tiebreaker rule. With a walk and a bunt, they put men at second and third with two outs. Axel Johnson scored on a wild pitch and Blair Beck's RBI single added a big insurance run.
The Crushers managed just one run in the bottom of the inning as Devin Raftery picked up his 15th save.
Jack Andersen (3-5) struck out six in two shutout innings for the win while Logan Lombana (0-1) took the loss.
The Crushers scored the decisive run of game two just two batters into the bottom of the first. Aaron Hill reached o a three-base error and Zach Racusin singled him in.
They added insurance in the sixth on RBI hits from Cody Lenahan and Derek Perry.
The ThunderBolts went hitless for the first four innings before threatening late. They put their first man in scoring position in the sixth and got Larry Balkwill, who had doubled, to third base in the seventh, but could not push a run across.
Justin Sinibaldi (3-4) tossed six shutout innings for the win and Patrick Ledet (7-8) allowed two earned runs in 5.1 innings for the loss. Seth Lucio earned his second save.
The ThunderBolts wrap up the season with a three-game series starting Friday at Traverse City. Jake Welch (6-6, 3.81) gets the game one start against the Beach Bums' Tyler Thornton (1-1, 2.12). First pitch from Wuerfel Park is set for 6:05 and the broadcast can be heard on WXAV 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.