Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday
SCHAUMBURG, Il. - The Washington Wild Things upended the Schaumburg Boomers Wednesday, winning 8-6 to clinch a spot in the 2018 Frontier League Playoffs.
The Wild Things raced to a 4-0 lead in the first three innings, as the Things opened the scoring in the first on a groundout by right fielder Hector Roa that plated center fielder James Harris.
Later, in the third, Harris hit his 16th home run of the year, extending the lead to 3-0. First baseman Reydel Medina scored on a fielder's choice off the bat of catcher Kyle Pollock that made it 4-0 later in the third.
Schaumburg scored the next five runs, highlighted by a two-run homer off the bat of Clint Hardy, before Washington plated four in the eighth to take the lead 8-5. The inning was highlighted by a two-run single by second baseman Carter McEachern.
Schaumburg added a run in the bottom of the eighth, but was unable to complete the comeback.
Washington's magic number for the East Division crown is now three, with the win and Joliet's loss to the Traverse City Beach Bums. It's back-to-back postseason trips for the Wild Things for the first time since 2006-07.
The Wild Things will go for the sweep tomorrow, with game three against the Boomers scheduled for 7:30 p.m. EDT.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.