CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, placed four players on the Frontier League All-Star team for the 2018 season as announced by the league on Thursday.
Shortstop Santiago Chirino, first baseman Chris Iriart, and outfielders Andrew Godbold and Derrick Loveless earned end-of-season All-Star honors after voting by the league's general managers, managers, coaches, broadcasters and media.
Chirino was runner-up for the league's Most Valuable Player, and pitcher Jack Landwehr finished as runner-up in the voting for Rookie of the Year.
Chirino is currently second in the league in batting average, hitting at a .370 clip. He became the all-time Frontier League hits leader earlier this season.
Iriart leads the league with 24 home runs. Godbold and Loveless are the team RBI leaders with 75 and 63 respectively.
The CornBelters are a half-game behind the Florence Freedom for the final playoff spot with four games remaining, and are 1 1/2 games behind the River City Rascals for the Frontier League West Division lead. The Belters conclude the series with the Freedom on Thursday night at UC Health Stadium, then return to the Corn Crib for the final three games of the regular season against the Evansville Otters, who are also a half-game ahead of the Belters.
Game times this weekend at the Corn Crib are 7:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 6:05 p.m. Sunday. CEFCU Entertaining Friday features a team photo giveaway. State Farm Saturday includes post-game fireworks and Sunday is Fan Appreciation Night. For tickets and more information, visit www.normalbaseball.com or call 309-454-2255 (BALL).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.