CornBelters Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Otters
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, were eliminated from playoff contention with an 8-3 loss to the Evansville Otters on Friday night at the Corn Crib.
Evansville scored five times in the first inning, all charged to starter Anthony Herrera (7-5) who lasted only two-thirds of an inning, giving up five hits with one walk.
Normal answered with a run in the first inning on a single by Derrick Loveless, the first of his two RBIs on the night.
The Otters completed their scoring with two runs in the fourth and a run in the sixth. The Belters added a run in the sixth on Chris Iriart's 25th home run of the season and another in the seventh on Loveless' second RBI single of the night.
Evansville starter Ty Hensley (2-0) took the win with six innings of work, giving up two earned runs on six hits with four walks and six strikeouts.
The series continues at the Corn Crib on State Farm Saturday and Auto Industry Night with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch as lefties Nick Bozman (6-2, 3.14 ERA) for Normal and Austin Nicely (7-5, 4.47) for Evansville are the scheduled pitchers. A fireworks display follows the game. The season concludes with Sunday's 6:05 p.m. contest at the Corn Crib.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2018
- CornBelters Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Drop Soggy Opener of Final Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Rally to Beat Grizzlies, Clinch Winning Season - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Bite Freedom in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Fall to Miners in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters One Win Away from Postseason Berth After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Blank Freedom Behind Ortiz's Gem - River City Rascals
- East Division Magic Number Stays at 1 - Washington Wild Things
- Romero sets record in big win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Fall to Windy City to Open Final Weekend of Season - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Playoff Pass and Picnic Specials Available Now - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.