Beach Bums Fall to Windy City to Open Final Weekend of Season
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Beach Bums(43-51) stranded 11 men on base on their way to a 9-2 loss to the Windy City Thunderbolts(41-53).
After two scoreless innings, Windy City's Tyler Straub hit an RBI single in the third. Larry Balkwill then drove in two with a triple for a 3-0 lead. In the bottom of the inning, Orlando Rivera hit a one out triple to right-center field. Two batters later, he scored on a Will Kengor RBI single, pulling Traverse City within two.
In the sixth, Windy City broke the game open, sending nine men to the plate. Omar Obregon drove in a run on a fielder's choice then scored on a delayed steal of home. Joe Becht hit an RBI single then Axel Johnson hit a two-run homer for an 8-1 lead. In the bottom of the frame, Luke Lowery doubled, Alexis Rivera walked, and Kendall Patrick was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Two batters later, Ryan Kemp walked to drive in Lowery. Windy City added a run in the ninth on a groundout by Riley Krane.
Jake Welch earned the win for Windy City to improve his record to 7-6. He went six innings and allowed two runs on six hits and two walks. Tyler Thornton is dealt the loss after giving three runs on six hits and two walks, in five innings. He is now 1-2 on the season.
Coming up on Saturday, the Beach Bums and Windy City Thunderbolts will play the middle game of the final series of the 2018 season. On the mound for Windy City will be Braulio Torres-Perez and the Beach Bums will counter with Reinaldo Lopez. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm and you can join the voice of the Beach Bums, Tom Willms, at 6:45 for the Budweiser pre-game show. You can listen along from anywhere in the world at TCBeachBums.com.
Calling all hunters, fishers, and outdoor enthusiasts! Saturday night is Outdoor Night, sponsored by Cedar Creek Ranch. Wear your camo to the game and receive 1/2 off your ticket! While we may be sad that baseball season is coming to a close, we're gearing up for hunting season - don't miss out on your chance to register for tons of great prizes donated by many local outdoor stores! The Bums will take on the Windy City Thunderbolts in this second to last game of the 2018 season. Gates open at 6:00pm and first pitch is set for 7:05pm. For information and tickets, go to TCBeachBums.com or call the office at (231) 943-0100. The front office is open daily on non-gamedays, Monday through Friday at 8:30 am; the box office is open 1:00 PM to 6 PM. Fans may also book online through this website 24/7 however senior discount tickets must be purchased in person.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2018
- CornBelters Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Drop Soggy Opener of Final Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Rally to Beat Grizzlies, Clinch Winning Season - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Bite Freedom in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Fall to Miners in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters One Win Away from Postseason Berth After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Blank Freedom Behind Ortiz's Gem - River City Rascals
- East Division Magic Number Stays at 1 - Washington Wild Things
- Romero sets record in big win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Fall to Windy City to Open Final Weekend of Season - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Playoff Pass and Picnic Specials Available Now - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.