Grizzlies Fall to Miners in Opener
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies took the lead in the first inning Friday night and scored two in the sixth inning to tie the game after falling behind, but they allowed two Southern Illinois Miners runs in the eighth inning en route to a 6-4 loss at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (36-58) lost its ninth straight game, the latter four of which have been at home.
Southern Illinois (48-45) clinched a winning season and held onto its slim playoff chances. The Miners remained 1.5 games back in the West Division - and an equal margin behind the final wild card spot - with two games to play in the regular season. They need to win the remaining two games against the Grizzlies, and they need the Normal CornBelters to win their remaining two games against the Evansville Otters. One more win for the Grizzlies or the Otters would eliminate Southern Illinois.
Josh Glick (2-4) took his second loss in the last two nights in relief.
Mike Elwood tossed 4 2/3 innings and allowed four runs (all earned) with four strikeouts. Chris Metrick relieved him and threw 2 1/3 strong innings despite pitching for the second game in a row and making his third appearance in the last four days. Metrick did not allow a run and struck out two.
Audie Afenir, Shane Mardirosian and Cody Livesay all had two-hit games for Gateway. Mardirosian notched a double and two runs scored; Afenir had two RBIs and a run.
Gateway and Southern Illinois will continue their three-game series Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2018
- CornBelters Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Drop Soggy Opener of Final Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Rally to Beat Grizzlies, Clinch Winning Season - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Bite Freedom in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Fall to Miners in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters One Win Away from Postseason Berth After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Blank Freedom Behind Ortiz's Gem - River City Rascals
- East Division Magic Number Stays at 1 - Washington Wild Things
- Romero sets record in big win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Fall to Windy City to Open Final Weekend of Season - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Playoff Pass and Picnic Specials Available Now - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.