Boomers Drop Soggy Opener of Final Series at Joliet
JOLIET, IL - After sitting through an 89-minute rain delay, the defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, opened the final series of the year with a 9-1 loss to the Joliet Slammers.
Joliet scored an unearned run in the bottom of the first against starter Hendry Rodriguez. Joliet starter Taylor Goshen put forth a dominant effort on the mound, striking out 10. The 10 strikeouts were the most in a game by an opposing starter this year. The Slammers extended the lead by scoring single runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth. Schaumburg scored for the only time in the game on a Jack Parenty sacrifice fly in the seventh, knocking home Darrell Miller, Jr., who tripled. Joliet added another run in the seventh and four in the eighth to pull away, handing the Boomers a fourth straight defeat.
Schaumburg managed just four hits in the loss. Rodriguez allowed just three earned runs in six innings, a quality start, but ended up taking the loss. Collin Ferguson tallied a pair of hits in the defeat. Miller, Jr. reached base three times. Zack Weigel walked twice to extend his franchise record on-base streak to 48 games. Weigel has drawn 58 walks on the second, third most in the single season history. The streak is believed to be the second longest in league history. Parenty also drew a walk, matching the record for walks with 59.
The Boomers (44-50) continue the final series of the year at Joliet on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. with the middle game against the Slammers. RHP Payton Lobdell (4-8, 4.14) takes the ball for the Boomers.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2018
- CornBelters Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Drop Soggy Opener of Final Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Rally to Beat Grizzlies, Clinch Winning Season - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Bite Freedom in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Fall to Miners in Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters One Win Away from Postseason Berth After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Blank Freedom Behind Ortiz's Gem - River City Rascals
- East Division Magic Number Stays at 1 - Washington Wild Things
- Romero sets record in big win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Fall to Windy City to Open Final Weekend of Season - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Playoff Pass and Picnic Specials Available Now - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- Schaumburg Boomers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Akiem Hicks Charity Softball Game Scheduled for June 15, 2019 at Boomers Stadium
- Boomers Re-Sign Jones & Thompson
- Boomers Re-Sign DiPasquale and Stutsman; Add Martinez and Sierra
- Boomers Re-Sign Four from 2018