Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Beach Bums'(43-50) and Joliet Slammers(52-41), played their second doubleheader in row, this time with the Beach Bums winning the opener, 5-4 in 10 innings, then falling 3-1 in the nightcap.
With two outs in the first inning of game one, Will Kengor and Luke Lowery hit back-to-back doubles for a 1-0 lead. Alexis Rivera doubled the advantage with an RBI single. In the third inning, Will Kengor smashed his 13th homer of the season over the left field wall, a solo shot, for a 3-0 lead. In the fifth, Ridge Hoopii-Haslam hit a solo homerun then LJ Kalawaia drove in two with a single, tying the game at three.
Both teams needed the international tie-breaker to pick up the offense for the duration. In the top of the ninth, Manny Cruz drove in a run on a sacrifice fly, but in the bottom, with Alexis Rivera on at second, Ryan Kemp drove him home with a double, sending the game to the 10th. In the bottom of the inning, with Kemp at second, he moved to third on a wild pitch then scored the winner on a walk-off RBI single by Isaac Benard.
Matt Williams picked up the win, hurling the last three innings in relief. He allowed an unearned run on no hits and an intentional walk, and struck out one to move his record to 5-2. Keegan Long suffers the loss as he was in during the 10th, giving up the RBI hit. He falls to 2-5.
In game two, and with one out in the second, Alec Olund and Ryan Kemp reached on back-to-back walks. With Olund on third thanks to an error, Ryan Kemp attempted to steal second, as he did, Olund scored to give the Bums a 1-0 lead. From there the bats went silent, but not quite for Joliet. Ridge Hoopii-Haslam tied the game in the third on a single then gave the Slammers the lead on a two-run hit in the fifth.
Andrew Zellner earned the win in relief for Joliet. He went four and two-thirds innings and walked one, giving up no hits, improving his record to 3-2. Luke Devenney went five innings in the loss, allowing three runs on six hits and three walks. He falls to 1-5 on the season. With tonight's split, the Beach Bums take the season series against Joliet, seven games to five.
Coming up on Friday, the Beach Bums will host the Windy City Thunderbolt in the opening game of the final series of the 2018 season. On the mound for Windy City will be Jake Welch and the Beach Bums will counter with Tyler Thornton. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm and you can join the voice of the Beach Bums, Tom Willms, at 6:45 for the Budweiser pre-game show. You can listen along from anywhere in the world at TCBeachBums.com.
Are you a lucky person? Do you have that kind of luck where good things just seem to happen to you? If so, then be sure to come out to Wuerfel Park tonight for Casino Night sponsored by Little River Casino! Early entrants into the ballpark will receive a special baseball tote bag provided by Little River Casino, along with the chance to participate in one of our many casino themed between inning games! So I'll ask you one question, do you feel lucky? Join us for this night filled with baseball and betting, zero stakes betting that is, where you'll have chance after chance to win free prizes. And of course, let's not forget, Fridays in 2018 are Fantastic Fireworks Friday out at Wuerfel Park. Fun, games, and a spectacular fireworks show... Who could ask for more! Gates open at 6:00pm -- First pitch set for 7:05pm. For information and tickets, go to TCBeachBums.com or call the office at (231) 943-0100. The front office is open daily on non-gamedays, Monday through Friday at 8:30 am; the box office is open 1:00 PM to 6 PM. Fans may also book online through this website 24/7 however senior discount tickets must be purchased in person.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Y'alls
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Y'alls
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.