Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies left two men on base - including the potential tying run at first base - to conclude a 6-4 loss Thursday night to the Evansville Otters at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (36-57) dropped its eighth straight and was swept for the third straight series, including a two-game sweep last week at the hands of the River City Rascals.
Evansville (49-44) won its third straight and moved into a three-way tie for first place in the West Division with River City and the Florence Freedom. The Otters entered this week's series in Sauget in a tie for fourth place.
Trae Santos had four hits, Shane Mardirosian had three and Cody Livesay added two. Santos doubled, drove in a run and scored one. Mardirosian picked up his third home run of the season. Livesay pitched in a double as well.
Josh Glick (2-3) took the loss in relief. Chris Metrick tossed the only scoreless inning of the night for the Grizzlies.
Taso Stathopoulos worked five-plus innings and allowed three runs (two earned) with three strikeouts.
Gateway will open a three-game series with the Southern Illinois Miners at 7:05 p.m. Friday at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Y'alls
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Y'alls
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.