East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win
SCHAUMBURG, Il. - Washington blew a 3-0 lead to the Schaumburg Boomers in the series finale Thursday, but a double by catcher Kyle Pollock to lead off the 11th inning with the international tie breaker rule in effect pushed Washington to a series sweep of the Boomers, as they took the finale 4-3 in 11.
The Wild Things plated three runs in the third inning to open the scoring. A wild pitch scored the first run before Reydel Medina grounded to second to bring home another. A single by Hector Roa made it 3-0.
Schaumburg scored a run in the fourth and a run in the seventh before Schaumburg first baseman Collin Ferguson hit a solo shot to lead off the ninth and tie the game at 3 against Zach Strecker.
Washington starter Chase Cunningham allowed two runs in 6.2 innings with six strikeouts on his way to a no decision. Jesus Balaguer threw 1.1 scoreless in relief of Cunningham before Strecker allowed the tying home run.
Pollock's double plated Hector Roa, who was the international tie breaker rule runner in the 11th. James Meeker pitched both extra innings to earn the win, allowing just one hit and fanning one batter.
Washington's East Division magic number is down to one, meaning it will only take one more Washington win or one loss by Joliet to make the Wild Things East Division champs for the first time since 2007.
The Wild Things open a series with the Lake Erie Crushers Friday at 7:05 p.m. in Avon, Ohio.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.