Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship
Marion, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners are proud to announce that Ben Moore has been named the winner of the Frontier League's Fran Riordan Award in 2018, given annually to a player who exhibits outstanding citizenship in the community.
A second-year Miners catcher, as one of the team leaders on the field this season, Moore batted .287 in 37 games before a season-ending knee injury in late July. But aside from his production on the diamond, his impact was also felt away from the baseball field by fans all across Southern Illinois.
"Ben has showed his leadership and character from the moment he arrived in 2017," Miners manager and COO Mike Pinto said of Moore. "When I look at what the Miners bring to the region beyond great baseball and entertainment, it is how our players have made themselves a part of the community, whether it is going to a hospital, to the VA, or to a youth league park among so many other things. Ben is the epitome of a representative of the Miners organization, our league and professional baseball. I am so thrilled that his care for others was recognized by our league."
The Miners return to action tonight at 6:35 p.m. against the River City Rascals in a critical rubber match at CarShield Field. Austin Dubsky will get the start for Southern Illinois against the Rascals' Hector Hernandez, with the team currently sitting 1 1/2 games back of a playoff spot with four games remaining in the regular season.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's winningest franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.siminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Illinois Miners Stories
- Miners Announce 2020 Schedule
- Sparks' Blast Gives Miners Win over Otters in 2019 Finale
- Miners Bash Otters to Even Series
- Miners Dealt Home Loss by Evansville
- Miners Drop Game, Series at Home to Lake Erie