CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence
FLORENCE, Ky. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, scored in the opening frame but did not cross the plate again in a 3-1 loss to the Florence Freedom on Thursday night at UC Health Stadium.
The Belters loaded the bases in the first inning and scored on a fielder's choice by Andrew Godbold, but managed only three hits on the game and two hits in the final eight innings.
The Freedom tied the game in the second inning with a John Price Jr. single, then took the lead in the fifth frame when Price led off with a triple and was bounced home by Caleb Lopes. An insurance run crossed the plate in the seventh with a Lopes RBI single.
Chuck Weaver (6-4) worked eight innings with just three hits, striking out eight while walking only two. Johnathan Tripp struck out the side in the ninth for his 15th save. Sean Johnson (0-1) gave up two hits but two runs in his two innings of work, walking one and striking out two.
The CornBelters (47-45) host the Evansville Otters, who are also fighting for a playoff spot, in a three-game series to end the regular season. First pitch on Friday and Saturday is 7:05 p.m. with a 6:05 p.m. start on Sunday. Belters fans receive a team photo on Friday with post-game fireworks planned for Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Y'alls
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Y'alls
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.