CornBelters Fall to Otters
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, dropped the next-to-last game of the regular season 4-2 to the Evansville Otters on Saturday night at the Corn Crib.
The Otters scored in the opening frame on a solo home run by Travis Harrison, who tacked on a run in the third with an RBI single.
Evansville put up a crooked number in the fourth thanks to a two-run double by Mike Rizzitello to put the guests ahead 4-0.
Michael Baca singled home J.J. Bissell to put the Belters on the board in the eighth. The Belters scored in the ninth as James Davison Jr. hit into a fielder's choice to score Derrick Loveless, but the tying runs were stranded at game's end. The CornBelters left 14 runners on base while the Otters stranded five.
Austin Nicely (8-5) earned the win over six shutout innings, giving up six hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Chance Simpson (1-1) took the loss with five innings of work with four earned runs on seven hits with two walks and two strikeouts. Tyler Vail recorded the final two outs for his second save.
The season concludes with a Sunday contest on Fan Appreciation Night at the Corn Crib. First pitch is at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 1, 2018
- Otters Secure Playoff Spot After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Florence Flatlines with Middle-Game Loss - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Fall to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Seventh Inning Sends Boomers to Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Racusin's Walk-off Blast Lifts Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washingtons Falls to Lake Erie, Waits on Schaumburg and Joliet Final - Washington Wild Things
- Beach Bums and ThunderBolts Rained Out - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Romero Breaks Frontier League Record - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.