Seventh Inning Sends Boomers to Win
JOLIET, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, scored four times in the top of the seventh to rally past the Joliet Slammers 7-5 on the second-to-last day of the season and hand the Washington Wild Things the East Division title.
Schaumburg built an early 2-0 lead behind single runs in the second and third. Darrell Miller, Jr. singled home Nick Oddo in the second and Zack Weigel plated Michael Hartnagel in the third. Joliet responded with four runs in the bottom of the third on five hits to take the lead. Trailing 4-3, Schaumburg struck in rapid fire fashion to score the runs in the seventh and hang on for the win. Jack Parenty led off with a double and came around on Hartnagel's second triple of the game. Weigel singled home Hartnagel and was along for the ride on Oddo's fourth homer. Joliet had chances late but could not overcome the deficit.
Payton Lobdell worked six innings in his final start of the season to notch the win. James Mulry retired the final two batters to log his first save of the year. Both teams finished with 14 hits. Parenty and Oddo tallied three apiece with Hartnagel, Weigel and Tyler Wolfe tacking on a pair. Hartnagel matched the single game franchise record by becoming the fourth player to triple twice in a game. Weigel extended his on-base streak to 49 games. The franchise record is believed to be the second longest in league history. The win broke a four-game skid, and officially clinched the division title for Washington. Joliet will be the first wild card team.
The Boomers (45-50) end the season on Sunday night at 5:05 p.m. LHP Gunnar Kines (6-3, 3.83) takes the ball in the final contest while Joliet has yet to name a starter for the finale.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 1, 2018
- Otters Secure Playoff Spot After Defeating CornBelters - Evansville Otters
- Florence Flatlines with Middle-Game Loss - Florence Y'alls
- CornBelters Fall to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Seventh Inning Sends Boomers to Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Racusin's Walk-off Blast Lifts Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washingtons Falls to Lake Erie, Waits on Schaumburg and Joliet Final - Washington Wild Things
- Beach Bums and ThunderBolts Rained Out - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Romero Breaks Frontier League Record - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.