Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, rallied to tie the game in the ninth inning but suffered a 4-3 loss in 11 innings to the Washington Wild Things in the final home game of the season.
Washington scored three runs in the top of the third against starter Chris Powell. The Boomers struggled to get the bats going, but pecked away at the deficit. Michael Hartnagel scored the first run in the bottom of the fourth, crossing the plate on a groundout from Darrell Miller, Jr. Clint Hardy sprinted home on a wild pitch in the seventh to bring the Boomers within 3-2. Collin Ferguson led off the top of the ninth with a solo homer over the wall in right against Washington closer Zack Strecker, his sixth of the year, to tie the score. Neither team scored in the 10th and an RBI double from Kyle Pollock in the 11th accounted for the winning run.
Powell worked six innings and allowed three runs on seven hits with two walks and six strikeouts. Jake Joyce suffered the loss in relief, allowing just the international tiebreaker run. The Boomers finished with just six hits in the loss, two of which came from Hartnagel. Zack Weigel was hit by a pitch in the fourth inning to keep his franchise record on-base streak intact at 47 games, the longest in the league this year and believed to be the second longest in league history. Schaumburg finished the year with a 25-23 mark at home and led the league in attendance again.
The Boomers (44-49) conclude the season with three games at Joliet this weekend. RHP Hendry Rodriguez (0-1, 8.68) starts the 7:05 p.m. opener against RHP Taylor Goshen (4-6, 4.86).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big Inning Leads Miners to Critical Win at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- East Division Magic Number Down to 1 After 11-Inning Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Fall in Finale to Miners - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Drop Eighth Straight, Swept by Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Sweep Grizzlies to Move into Tie for First Place in Western Division - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Fall in Extras in Home Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Split Second Straight Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Crushers Split Double Header - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Drop Road Finale at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Take Mega-Series against Normal - Florence Freedom
- Freedom Place Three on Post-Season Frontier League Award Winners - Florence Freedom
- Ben Moore Wins Fran Riordan Award for Citizenship - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums' Willms Named Broadcaster of the Year - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Parenty Selected as Postseason All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Crushers Win 2018 Frontier League Honors - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters Place 4 on Frontier League Season All-Star Team - Normal CornBelters
- James Harris Named MVP, Thomas Dorminy Named Pitcher of the Year - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Manager Earns Roger Hanners Award - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Clinches Playoffs with Win Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- Schaumburg Boomers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Akiem Hicks Charity Softball Game Scheduled for June 15, 2019 at Boomers Stadium
- Boomers Re-Sign Jones & Thompson
- Boomers Re-Sign DiPasquale and Stutsman; Add Martinez and Sierra
- Boomers Re-Sign Four from 2018