Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Admirals
JACKSONVILLE, FL - Wacey Rabbit scored twice, but it would not be enough as the Jacksonville Icemen dropped a 5-3 decision to the Norfolk Admirals at the Veterans Memorial Arena Saturday night.
Norfolk newcomer Stathis Soumelidis skated down the right wing in the Jacksonville end and feathered a pass on the front door to Matt McMorrow. McMorrow got enough of the puck to redirect around Icemen netminder Tanner Jaillet to give Norfolk a 1-0 edge at 5:17 into the first period. Nearly four minutes later, Luke Nogard potted his 15th tally of the season. Using a defender as a screen, Nogard collected the puck just above the left wing circle and snapped a shot past an unsuspecting Jaillet to extend the Norfolk lead to 2-0.
Jacksonville got on the board at 16:32 of the opening frame when the puck deflected off the back dasher directly to the stick of Wacey Rabbit on the backside of the crease. Rabbit immediately shoved the puck with ease into the open Norfolk net for the first Icemen marker.
However, the Admirals regained a two-goal edge on a tally from Darik Angeli just two minutes later. Dan Maggio helped set up his second goal of the night, when he delivered a cross-ice pass to a wide open Angeli on the backside of the Jacksonville net. Angeli tapped the puck into the open net to give the Admirals a 3-1 edge heading into the first intermission.
A busy first period gave way to a quieter second period as the Admirals garnered the only tally in the period on a shorthanded tally by Ben Duffy. Duffy scored his team best 16th goal of the season when he finished off a breakaway chance following a turnover by the Icemen in their own end. The Admirals entered the final stanza of regulation with a three-goal edge, but Jacksonville refused to go down without a fight, receiving two quick strikes just 44 seconds apart to pull within one. The first came on a power play strike by David Broll, while the second was put home once again by Rabbit who netted his second of the contest and team best 22nd goal of the season to cut the Norfolk lead to a 4-3 count. Despite outshooting the Admirals 9-3 in the final period, the Icemen could not find the tying marker as Norfolk goaltender Ty Reichenbach kept the puck out of the for the remainder of the period.
Domenic Alberga capped off his three-point night (1g, 2a) with an empty net goal to secure the 5-3 win for Norfolk.
Reichenbach earns his third win of the week making 18 saves on 21 shots, while Jaillet takes the loss allowing four goals on 21 shots faced.
The two teams will meet again on Sunday at the Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville. Game time is set for 3:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2019
- Playfair, Olson Lift Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pleskach and Tesink Net Two as Oilers Beat Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta Outshoots Rush 40-17 But Falls 4-2 as They Take Four of Six Points on Western Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 5-1 to Oilers in Final Game of Homestand - Idaho Steelheads
- Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mavericks Drop Saturday Night Game to Kalamazoo, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Falter in Third in Solar Bears Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Party of Two: Platzer, Cox Each Score Twice in 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Handcuff Royals on Law Enforcement Appreciation Night - Adirondack Thunder
- Sorenson Nets Pair as Wings Top Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cox Scores Twice in Third to Push Florida Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Conjure up a Win in Front of Sellout Crowd in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Win Third Straight with 5-3 Road Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Stopped in Glens Falls, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Ends Indiana Swing with Loss at Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Mariners, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Can't Complete Comeback Bid in Manchester - Maine Mariners
- Martenet Has Two Points But Brampton Falls 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Win in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- RELEASE -- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Road Trip Wraps up with Final Meeting of the Season with Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Momentum at Adirondack After Friday Win - Reading Royals
- Americans Win Opener against Utah in Wild Affair - Allen Americans
- Atlanta Wins in Marred Contest - Rapid City Rush
- RECAP -- Early Scoring, Strong Defense Lead Steelheads to 6-3 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville IceMen Stories
- Cleveland Assigns Derek Barach to IceMen; Prapavessis Recalled
- IceMen Add Rugged Forward Mitch Vandergunst
- Helvig's 44 Saves Not Enough as Orlando Edges IceMen 2-1
- Manitoba Assigns Adam Carlson to IceMen; Recall Outhouse
- IceMen Agree to Terms with Veteran Forward Mike Hedden