Martenet Has Two Points But Brampton Falls 4-3
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Chris Martenet had a goal and an assist but the Brampton Beast fell by a score of 4-3 against the Newfoundland Growlers on Saturday night.
The Brampton Beast took on the Newfoundland Growlers for the first of two straight games on the weekend. It was Pucks and Paws on Saturday, so the CAA Centre played host to a bevy of dogs all game long.
The Growlers got the scoring started in the first with a short-handed goal by Hudson Elynuik. The big forward got in behind the Beast defense and lifted a shot over the shoulder of Jake Paterson at 7:06.
Newfoundland would add another goal in the dying minutes of play. The Beast got in penalty trouble and Matt Bradley was able to find twine behind Paterson for the 2-0 lead at 19:42.
Brampton headed to their locker room down 2-0 after 20 minutes of play and trailed in shots by a count of 18-7.
The second period began with a gift from the Beast that allowed the Growlers to take a 3-1 lead. Paterson made a miscommunication that the Growler's Giorgio Estephan was able to bury into the open net at 1:09.
The Beast got one back with a high bounce shot courtesy of Jordan Henry. The big defenseman golfed a shot that found its way behind Michael Garteig at 1:27.
The Growlers fought back in the second and made it 4-1 at 15:37 with a goal from Marcus Power.
The Beast, undeterred by the score, continued to press late and were rewarded with another tally. This time is was Chris Martenet, who spun and fired a shot from the blueline that cut the lead to 4-2 with half a second left in the period.
The Beast would head to their dressing room down 4-2 after two and trailing in shots by a count of 25-15.
The third period saw just one goal and it came off the stick of the red-hot David Vallorani. The forward took the perfect centering pass from Anthony Beauregard and beat Garteig high at 12:19.
The Beats mounted a late comeback, but the Growlers were able to hold them in check for the rest of the contest. Brampton would drop a 4-3 decision in regulation to close out the first of two straight games this weekend.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Vallorani (BRA) 2) Martenet (BRA) 1) Bradley (NFL). The Beast finished the game zero-for-four on the man advantage. Newfoundland was one-for-five. The Beast and Growlers will face off once again tomorrow at 2:00 PM.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or email@example.com. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2018-19 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2019
- Playfair, Olson Lift Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pleskach and Tesink Net Two as Oilers Beat Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta Outshoots Rush 40-17 But Falls 4-2 as They Take Four of Six Points on Western Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 5-1 to Oilers in Final Game of Homestand - Idaho Steelheads
- Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mavericks Drop Saturday Night Game to Kalamazoo, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Falter in Third in Solar Bears Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Party of Two: Platzer, Cox Each Score Twice in 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Handcuff Royals on Law Enforcement Appreciation Night - Adirondack Thunder
- Sorenson Nets Pair as Wings Top Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cox Scores Twice in Third to Push Florida Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Conjure up a Win in Front of Sellout Crowd in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Win Third Straight with 5-3 Road Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Stopped in Glens Falls, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Ends Indiana Swing with Loss at Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Mariners, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Can't Complete Comeback Bid in Manchester - Maine Mariners
- Martenet Has Two Points But Brampton Falls 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Win in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- RELEASE -- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Road Trip Wraps up with Final Meeting of the Season with Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Momentum at Adirondack After Friday Win - Reading Royals
- Americans Win Opener against Utah in Wild Affair - Allen Americans
- Atlanta Wins in Marred Contest - Rapid City Rush
- RECAP -- Early Scoring, Strong Defense Lead Steelheads to 6-3 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.