Monarchs Sink Mariners, 5-2
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs started the scoring early, and never looked back in a 5-2 win over the Maine Mariners, Saturday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (29-24-1-2) scored two goals on their first two shots and held on to beat the Mariners (28-25-0-1) by a score of 5-3.
The Monarchs opened the scoring at 3:59 of the first period when Kevin Dufour scored his 20th goal of the season and first in a Monarchs uniform. Dufour intercepted a breakout pass at the top of the right circle and sent a shot the past the stick of Mariners goaltender Connor LaCouvee, making the score, 1-0.
The Monarchs scored again at 5:04 of the first period when Drake Rymsha netted his 7th goal of the season. David Kolomatis found Rymsha streaking into the offensive zone on a breakaway, where he wristed a shot past LaCouvee, stick side, giving the Monarchs a 2-0 lead.
The Monarchs took a 3-0 lead at 9:28 of the second period with Chris Carlisle's 2nd goal of the season. Sam Kurker skated the puck along the left side boards before passing it to Carlisle who ripped a one-timer past LaCouvee from the blue line, to increase the lead.
The Mariners got on the board at 12:48 of the second when Dwyer Schantz ripped a shot from the left circle, over the glove of Monarchs goaltender Cole Kehler, to make the score, 3-1.
The Mariners cut the lead to one at 10:02 of the third period when Charles-Eric Legare scored his first goal of the season. Wade Murphy took a pass from Terrance Wallin and skated into the Monarchs defensive zone where he passed the puck to Legare at the side of the net, who tipped the puck past the blocker of Kehler, to make the score, 3-2.
The Monarchs made it 4-2 on a power-play goal by Nic Pierog at 17:45 of the third. LaCouvee stopped a Kolomatis blast from the point, and Carlisle collected the long rebound, passing it to Pierog in the left circle, where he flicked a shot past LaCouvee, to give Manchester their two-goal lead back.
The Monarchs scored an empty-net goal just 42 seconds later, when Sam Kurker beat the Mariners defense to a loose puck and slid a shot into the open net to finish the scoring, 5-2.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, February 27 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Worcester Railers at SNHU Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2019
- Playfair, Olson Lift Solar Bears to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pleskach and Tesink Net Two as Oilers Beat Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta Outshoots Rush 40-17 But Falls 4-2 as They Take Four of Six Points on Western Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 5-1 to Oilers in Final Game of Homestand - Idaho Steelheads
- Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mavericks Drop Saturday Night Game to Kalamazoo, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Falter in Third in Solar Bears Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Party of Two: Platzer, Cox Each Score Twice in 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Handcuff Royals on Law Enforcement Appreciation Night - Adirondack Thunder
- Sorenson Nets Pair as Wings Top Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cox Scores Twice in Third to Push Florida Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Conjure up a Win in Front of Sellout Crowd in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Win Third Straight with 5-3 Road Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Stopped in Glens Falls, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Ends Indiana Swing with Loss at Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Mariners, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Can't Complete Comeback Bid in Manchester - Maine Mariners
- Martenet Has Two Points But Brampton Falls 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Win in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- RELEASE -- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Road Trip Wraps up with Final Meeting of the Season with Mavericks - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Momentum at Adirondack After Friday Win - Reading Royals
- Americans Win Opener against Utah in Wild Affair - Allen Americans
- Atlanta Wins in Marred Contest - Rapid City Rush
- RECAP -- Early Scoring, Strong Defense Lead Steelheads to 6-3 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.