Tacoma's Five-Game Home Winning Streak Snapped by Fresno
Tacoma, WA - Kristopher Negron hit his fifth home run of the season and Ryan Court extended his hitting streak to nine games against the Fresno Grizzlies at Cheney Stadium, but the Tacoma Rainiers had their five-game home winning streak halted in a 6-4 final on Thursday night.
With the Rainiers (23-25) trailing Fresno (24-23), 4-1, Negron lined a solo home run over the right field fence. With Tacoma threatening in the bottom of the eighth, Negron legged out an infield single that scored Ryan Court. The 33-year-old went 2-for-3 with 2 RBI in the contest.
The Rainiers, playing under the La Familia de Tacoma moniker for the second time, struck first when Court singled home Braden Bishop for a 1-0 advantage in the first inning. The 30-year-old added a single in Tacoma's eighth inning rally. Over his nine-game tear, the Illinois State product is raking at a .484 clip (15-for-31) with 14 RBI and 10 runs, ranking in the top-10 in the PCL in each category over that span and raising his season batting average from .160 to .339.
Tacoma managed two eighth inning runs, one on a dropped pop-up by second baseman Wilmer Difo off the bat of Jose Lobaton which plated Tim Lopes and the other on Negron's infield knock. The Rainiers left the tying runs stranded in the frame.
Tyler Cloyd (1-3) made the start for the Rainiers and allowed four runs in 6 2/3 innings but retired 13 of the final 14 Fresno hitters that he faced. Gerson Bautista gave up two hits and two runs over 1 1/3 frames and Chasen Bradford pitched a perfect ninth with a strikeout.
The Rainiers will battle for the four-game series win against Fresno on Friday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. PDT and left-hander Jon Niese (2-1, 5.16) is set to take the mound for Tacoma. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Kristopher Negron of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Dodgers Bid Au Revoir to New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chupacabras Boot Flying Chanclas 4-3 to Win Series - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Rally Falls Short - San Antonio Missions
- Omaha Avoids Iowa Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Gallen and Diaz Shine, 'Cakes Down Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Score 10 Unanswered Runs in Come-From-Behind Win over Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Ravelo Moves One Shy of Matching Franchise Hitting Streak Mark - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (18-28) vs. Memphis Redbirds (23-24) - Nashville Sounds
- Online Voting Now Open for Triple-A All-Star Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake Bees Host Memorial Day Weekend Series - Salt Lake Bees
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-24) at Nashville Sounds (18-28) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 25-June 2) - Memphis Redbirds
- Triple-A All-Star Online Voting Now Open - PCL
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Round Rock Chupacabras - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Edge Isotopes 1-0 in 10-Inning Thriller - Las Vegas Aviators
- Yadiel Hernandez homers twice as Grizzlies climb over Rainiers 6-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tacoma's Five-Game Home Winning Streak Snapped by Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Offense shows no sting versus Bees, River Cats fall 7-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Pitchers' Duel Falls in Las Vegas' Favor - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pair of Four-Run Innings Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Nips Omaha 3-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tomas Continues Hot Week in Aces Loss to El Paso - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Bested by San Antonio in 11-6 Decision - Round Rock Express
- Another Tough Night in the Big Easy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Spangenberg's Career Night Leads Missions Back to First - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Slugs Two Bombs, Rainiers Drop Second-Straight against Sacramento
- Lopes Launches First Career Grand Slam, Tacoma Falls to Sacramento at Cheney
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas
- McCaughan, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Rain-Shortened Game
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday