Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (18-28) vs. Memphis Redbirds (23-24)
Game #47: Nashville Sounds (18-28) vs. Memphis Redbirds (23-24)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Wes Benjamin (1-5, 7.88) vs. RHP Jake Woodford (3-1, 2.44)
First Pitch: 6:35 CST
Radio: 97.5 FM
TV: MiLB TV
At the Park
Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
FOX 17 News postgame fireworks presented by Koorsen Fire & Security.
From the Notes
Wes Benjamin: 25-year-old Wes Benjamin starts for the Sounds tonight. The left-hander is making his 10th start of the season and is 1-5 with an 7.88 ERA while covering 37.2 innings. Benjamin has yielded 47 hits and 18 walks to go with his 30 strikeouts. He last pitched on May 19 in a start against Round Rock. He got a no-decision after allowing 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits in 5.0 innings. Benjamin spent the majority of his 2018 season with Double-A Frisco where he went 5-6 with a 3.62 ERA in 15 starts. The southpaw spent nearly two months on the disabled list from June 7-July 31 with a left elbow strain. Despite missing time, Benjamin led the Frisco staff in wins and ranked among team leaders in strikeouts (3rd), starts (T3rd) and innings (4th). In his minor league career, Benjamin is 22-23 with a 4.16 ERA while covering 71 games (68 starts). The Rangers drafted the Illinois native in the 5th round of the 2014 MLB Draft out of Kansas University.
Against Woodford: Nashville has faced Jake Woodford twice in 2019 - May 3 in Nashville and May 14 in Memphis. He has faced the following active Sounds - Davidson: 0-1, K; Granite: 1-5, K; Ibáñez: 1-2; Tocci: 0-3, RBI, BB, K; White: 2-6, 4 K; Wisdom: 0-5, BB, K.
Gotta Get Down on Friday: The Sounds have a 4-1 record on Friday going into tonight's game against Memphis. The lone Friday loss came at home against Memphis (17-2) on Friday, May 3.
Breakthrough at Home: Nashville finally broke through at home with last night's 8-run outburst. The 8 runs scored matches a season-high at home (April 5 vs. Iowa - W, 8-2).
Granite's Slam: Outfielder Zack Granite's 8th inning grand slam last night was the second of his career (August 8, 2017 w/ Triple-A Rochester vs. Columbus) and the first by a Sounds hitter in 2019. The last grand slam by a Sounds hitter prior to Granite's was BJ Boyd's on August 9, 2018 at Colorado Springs.
Davidson's Clutch Knock: Infielder Matt Davidson continues to come through in the clutch for Nashville with 4 more two-out RBI last night, raising his team-high total to 16 on the season. With runners on base this year, Davidson is hitting .270 (20-for-74) with 4 doubles, 6 home runs and 25 RBI.
4 is the Magic Number: Nashville plated 8 runs last night and is now 15-12 when scoring 4 or more runs in a game, and 10-2 in their last 12 games when scoring 4+ runs. When scoring 3 or less the team is 3-16.
What's the word around Nashville?
Nashville Sounds (@nashvillesounds)
Congratulations to Sounds manager @woodrows40 on earning his 600th career win last night!
Jared Plushnick (@PlushnickWX)
Heading out to see the @nashvillesounds tonight? Just a little warm, but don't forget, fireworks after the game! Enjoy! @wkrn @AdamNuse @Chad_Seely @SoundsBooster
Justin Chambers (@jctvweather)
A WARM night for @FOXNashville fireworks tonight @FirstTNPark for the @nashvillesounds home game. Oh and look who's throwing out the first pitch...@Fox17Kathleen #firsttimeonaweathergraphic
Children's at VUMC (@VUMCchildren)
Thank you for visiting! We always love when you come by.
David Carpenter (@DCarpenter29)
Happy that we could come be a part of y'alls day
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Dodgers Bid Au Revoir to New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chupacabras Boot Flying Chanclas 4-3 to Win Series - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Rally Falls Short - San Antonio Missions
- Omaha Avoids Iowa Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Gallen and Diaz Shine, 'Cakes Down Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Score 10 Unanswered Runs in Come-From-Behind Win over Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Ravelo Moves One Shy of Matching Franchise Hitting Streak Mark - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (18-28) vs. Memphis Redbirds (23-24) - Nashville Sounds
- Online Voting Now Open for Triple-A All-Star Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake Bees Host Memorial Day Weekend Series - Salt Lake Bees
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-24) at Nashville Sounds (18-28) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 25-June 2) - Memphis Redbirds
- Triple-A All-Star Online Voting Now Open - PCL
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Round Rock Chupacabras - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Edge Isotopes 1-0 in 10-Inning Thriller - Las Vegas Aviators
- Yadiel Hernandez homers twice as Grizzlies climb over Rainiers 6-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tacoma's Five-Game Home Winning Streak Snapped by Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Offense shows no sting versus Bees, River Cats fall 7-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Pitchers' Duel Falls in Las Vegas' Favor - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pair of Four-Run Innings Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Nips Omaha 3-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tomas Continues Hot Week in Aces Loss to El Paso - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Bested by San Antonio in 11-6 Decision - Round Rock Express
- Another Tough Night in the Big Easy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Spangenberg's Career Night Leads Missions Back to First - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-56) at San Antonio Missions (61-36)
- Sounds Fall Again, Drop Fourth Straight
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-55) at San Antonio Missions (60-36)
- Sounds Lose Tight Game in San Antonio
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36)