Sounds Score 10 Unanswered Runs in Come-From-Behind Win over Memphis
NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds scored 10 unanswered runs in front of a sellout crowd of 10,068 and split the series against the Memphis Redbirds with a hard-fought 10-6 win Friday night at First Tennessee Park.
Adam Moore led the charge with a two-run triple in the third inning and a bases-clearing double in the seventh. The Sounds' catcher had 5 RBI in the game - the most by a Sounds player in a single game in 2019.
Wes Benjamin got the ball for Nashville and cruised through a 1-2-3 first inning but trouble hit in the second. After Andrew Knizner singled to start the frame, Benjamin got a ground ball that may have been a double play but it was misplayed and all runners were safe for the Redbirds.
Drew Robinson singled to load the bases and Ramon Urias worked a walk to force in a run to make it 1-0. Max Schrock followed with a two-run double, Tommy Edman hit a sacrifice fly, and Rangel Ravelo belted a two-run homer and the Redbirds quickly had a 6-0 lead.
Nashville slowly chipped away at the deficit with the help of nine walks issued by Memphis pitchers. Carlos Tocci knocked in Nashville's first run in the second inning and Nolan Fontana followed with an RBI single to make it 6-2.
Andy Ibanez belted his fifth home run of the season in the third to cut the deficit in half at 6-3. Matt Davidson and Hunter Cole both drew walks, and Moore's triple drove in both runners to make it a 6-5 game.
While Nashville hitters were slowly chipping away at the deficit, the pitchers were busy retiring 18 consecutive Memphis batters. Benjamin, Taylor Guerrieri, Wei-Chieh Huang, Kyle Bird and Brett Martin combined for 14 strikeouts.
Hunter Cole gave the Sounds the lead for good with an RBI single in the seventh. Moore followed with his bases-clearing double to make it 10-6, and the pitchers did the rest.
The Sounds welcome the Round Rock Express Saturday night for the start of a six-game series. Right-hander Ronald Herrera (0-3, 14.73) starts for Nashville against left-hander Cionel Perez (0-0, 6.51) for Round Rock. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
With tonight's 10-6 win, the Sounds are now 19-28 on the season.
Nashville erased a 6-run deficit tonight, their largest come-from-behind win in 2019.
Catcher Adam Moore drove in 5 runs with a 2-run triple and 3-run double. The 5 RBI is the most by a Sounds player in a game this season.
The Sounds walked nine times tonight, one free pass shy of the season-high 10.
Nashville pitchers notched 14 strikeouts tonight, matching the staff's single-game high in 2019.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Dodgers Bid Au Revoir to New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chupacabras Boot Flying Chanclas 4-3 to Win Series - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Rally Falls Short - San Antonio Missions
- Omaha Avoids Iowa Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Gallen and Diaz Shine, 'Cakes Down Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Score 10 Unanswered Runs in Come-From-Behind Win over Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Ravelo Moves One Shy of Matching Franchise Hitting Streak Mark - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (18-28) vs. Memphis Redbirds (23-24) - Nashville Sounds
- Online Voting Now Open for Triple-A All-Star Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake Bees Host Memorial Day Weekend Series - Salt Lake Bees
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-24) at Nashville Sounds (18-28) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 25-June 2) - Memphis Redbirds
- Triple-A All-Star Online Voting Now Open - PCL
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Round Rock Chupacabras - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Edge Isotopes 1-0 in 10-Inning Thriller - Las Vegas Aviators
- Yadiel Hernandez homers twice as Grizzlies climb over Rainiers 6-4 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tacoma's Five-Game Home Winning Streak Snapped by Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Suarez, Rodriguez Combine for Gem - Salt Lake Bees
- Offense shows no sting versus Bees, River Cats fall 7-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Pitchers' Duel Falls in Las Vegas' Favor - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pair of Four-Run Innings Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Nips Omaha 3-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tomas Continues Hot Week in Aces Loss to El Paso - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Bested by San Antonio in 11-6 Decision - Round Rock Express
- Another Tough Night in the Big Easy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Spangenberg's Career Night Leads Missions Back to First - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Dillard Spins Gem, Solak Homers Twice in Sounds Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-43)
- Blown Lead Gets Nashville Swept in San Antonio
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-56) at San Antonio Missions (61-36)
- Sounds Fall Again, Drop Fourth Straight