Swaney Stays Hot in 5-2 Win over Rockford
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Wild (3-1-0-0; 6 pts.) defeated the Rockford IceHogs (1-3-0-0; 2 pts.) for the second consecutive night, by a score of 5-2. Wild forward Nick Swaney collected two goals, just as he did on Friday night. He also recorded an assist in the Saturday night contest.
Swaney struck first on the powerplay at 1:11 of the first period, with Mitchell Chaffee and Adam Beckman earning assists on the game's first goal.
On a short-handed chance, Swaney netted his second of the game past Collin Delia (17 saves) just over 10 minutes later at 11:51 on a patient setup from Wild forward Cody McLeod. The goal gave Iowa a 2-0 lead and Turner Ottenbreit collected the secondary assist on the play.
At the end of the first period, the Wild led 2-0 on the strength of Swaney's tallies. Iowa outshot Rockford 14-6 in the period.
Iowa's Mason Shaw started the scoring in the second period, scoring his first goal of the season at 1:28.
Alexander Nylander put one past Dereck Baribeau (14 saves) at 4:30 of the second period. Nylander's goal trimmed the Wild lead to 3-1.
Iowa forward Kyle Rau continued his hot start to the season, directing a Nick Swaney feed into the twine on the powerplay at 7:53 of the second to make the score 4-1.
IceHogs forward Jakob Pour scored at 10:51 of the second period to make the score 4-2 in favor of the Wild. The goal was Pour's second in as many nights.
Wild forward Adam Beckman scored what would be the final goal of the game on the powerplay at 17:08 of the second period. The goal was Beckman's first of the season and it put Iowa on top 5-2.
The Wild finally broke through on the powerplay tonight, converting on two of their three opportunities. Rockford, however, was unable to score on their 6 powerplay chances.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. The Wild are prepared to take on the Manitoba Moose next week. Faceoff is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 30 at 2 p.m. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2021
- Marlies Fall 7-3 to Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Fall 7-3 to Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Halbgewachs' Two-Goal Performance Leads Barracuda to 3-2 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fans Return for Opening Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Whomp Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Pour and Nylander Strike in 5-2 Loss at Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Comets Remain Unbeaten, Defeat Crunch 2-1 - Utica Comets
- Islanders Rally past Thunderbirds in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- Swaney Stays Hot in 5-2 Win over Rockford - Iowa Wild
- T-Birds Secure Point, But Isles Steal Victory in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Battle Back for 2-1 Victory over Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Split Weekend with Dramatic Overtime Win - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Clinch Point, Fall in OT Thriller - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Open Road Swing with 7-3 Win in Toronto - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Fredrik Claesson from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- 5 Things: Heat at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Reese Johnson Recalled to Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Face Condors Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Conclude Weekend with Trip to Lehigh Valley - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Defenseman Colton White Assigned to Utica - Utica Comets
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 6 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 23 at Toronto - Rochester Americans
- IceHogs and Wild Prepare for Physical Rematch Tonight in Des Moines - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fly Past Gulls, 6-2, Friday in San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Abbotsford Canucks Win Thriller in Inaugural Home Opener - Abbotsford Canucks
- Silver Knights Fall, 3-2, to Canucks - Henderson Silver Knights
- Sellout Sees Gulls Fall in Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Tops Bakersfield 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Earn First Win of the Year with Third-Period Comeback - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Fly Past Gulls, 6-2, in Road Opener - Stockton Heat
- Berdin, Moose Shutout Grand Rapids 1-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Fall 0-1 in Defensive Battle with Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Jose Rallies in Third to Top Eagles, 5-4 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Minnesota Wild Signs Goaltender Jesper Wallstedt to a Three-Year, Entry-Level Contract
- Iowa Wild Defenseman Dakota Mermis Selected as Winner of Yanick Dupré Memorial Award
- Iowa Drops Season Finale to Rockford, 6-1
- Rau's Record-Breaking Performance Leads Wild to 5-3 Victory over IceHogs
- Wild Drop Close Contest to Stars, 2-1