Halbgewachs' Two-Goal Performance Leads Barracuda to 3-2 Win over Colorado
LOVELAND, CO. - San Jose forward Jayden Halbgewachs scored a pair of goals to help propel the Barracuda to a 3-2 win over the Colorado Eagles on Saturday. San Jose scored two power-play goals on the night, including the game-winner from forward Noah Gregor in the third period. Eagles forwards Kiefer Sherwood and Cal Burke each netted a goal in the loss, as Colorado fell to 0-3-0-1 to start the season.
The Eagles found themselves in an early hole, as a power play for San Jose would set up Halbgewachs to redirect a shot from the point into the back of the net to give San Jose a 1-0 edge just 2:24 into the contest.
Colorado would strike back when the Eagles earned a power play of their own later in the first period and Sherwood blasted a shot from the left-wing circle that would light the lamp and tie the game at 1-1 at the 10:18 mark of the first frame.
The momentum would continue to swing Colorado's way, as Burke settled a cross-crease pass from Roland McKeown and steered it past San Jose goalie Zach Sawchenko. The goal was Burke's third of the season and gave the Eagles a 2-1 advantage with 6:43 remaining in the opening 20 minutes of play. Colorado would close out the period by outshooting the Barracuda 14-10 and headed to the intermission still on top, 2-1.
The Eagles would control long stretches of the second period, outshooting San Jose 16-6 in the middle frame. However, it would be Halbgewachs and the Barracuda who would generate the period's only goal, as Halbgewachs would grab a big rebound in the left-wing circle and rifled it past Colorado goaltender Justus Annunen. The tally tied the game at 2-2 with 2:14 left to play in the second stanza and the two teams would head to the intermission still deadlocked at 2-2.
San Jose would take advantage of another power play to break the tie, as Gregor sliced through the slot to deflect a shot into the back of the net, giving the Barracuda a 3-2 lead at the 7:31 mark of the third period.
The Eagles would continue to create chances throughout the remainder of the final frame, but would not be able to generate another goal, as Colorado fell by a final score of 3-2.
San Jose finished the night going 2-for-3 on the power play, while the Eagles went 1-for-3 on the man-advantage. Colorado outshot the Barracuda by a final count of 45-27. Annunen suffered the loss in net, surrendering three goals on 27 shots, while Sawchenko earned his first win of the season by stopping 43 of the 45 shots he faced.
The Eagles will return to action when they travel to take on the Bakersfield Condors on Wednesday, October 27th at 7:30pm MT at Mechanics Bank Arena in Bakersfield, California. The Budweiser Events Center is now open to 100% fan capacity. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale now and start at just $19. Season tickets for the 2021-22 season are also on sale now and can be secured with a deposit of just $100 per seat by visiting ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the ticket department at (970) 686-7468.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2021
- Marlies Fall 7-3 to Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Fall 7-3 to Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Halbgewachs' Two-Goal Performance Leads Barracuda to 3-2 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fans Return for Opening Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Whomp Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Pour and Nylander Strike in 5-2 Loss at Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Comets Remain Unbeaten, Defeat Crunch 2-1 - Utica Comets
- Islanders Rally past Thunderbirds in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- P-Bruins Fall to Laval Rocket, 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- Swaney Stays Hot in 5-2 Win over Rockford - Iowa Wild
- T-Birds Secure Point, But Isles Steal Victory in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Battle Back for 2-1 Victory over Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Split Weekend with Dramatic Overtime Win - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Clinch Point, Fall in OT Thriller - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Open Road Swing with 7-3 Win in Toronto - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Fredrik Claesson from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- 5 Things: Heat at Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Reese Johnson Recalled to Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Face Condors Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Conclude Weekend with Trip to Lehigh Valley - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Defenseman Colton White Assigned to Utica - Utica Comets
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 6 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, October 23 at Toronto - Rochester Americans
- IceHogs and Wild Prepare for Physical Rematch Tonight in Des Moines - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fly Past Gulls, 6-2, Friday in San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Abbotsford Canucks Win Thriller in Inaugural Home Opener - Abbotsford Canucks
- Silver Knights Fall, 3-2, to Canucks - Henderson Silver Knights
- Sellout Sees Gulls Fall in Home Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Tops Bakersfield 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Earn First Win of the Year with Third-Period Comeback - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Fly Past Gulls, 6-2, in Road Opener - Stockton Heat
- Berdin, Moose Shutout Grand Rapids 1-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Fall 0-1 in Defensive Battle with Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Jose Rallies in Third to Top Eagles, 5-4 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.