Steelheads out Chance Rush, Fall 5-3
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (39-23-5) outshot the Rapid City Rush (27-32-8) by a 48-27 spread but fell 5-3 on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
The Rush struck first at 11:56 of the first period on a penalty shot goal by forward Dexter Dancs to take the 1-0 lead before Steelheads forward Will Merchant took away a pass in the offensive end and followed his takeaway up by sliding the puck under the netminder at 14:02 to tie the game, 1-1. Rush defenseman Brandon Fehd found a friendly bounce into the net at 19:09 to take a 2-1 lead.
In the second period, the Steelheads kicked up the offensive pressure; however the Rush scored the lone tally at 14:38 with a tally by forward Cedric Montminy to double the lead, 3-1.
The Steelheads pressed back in the third period and started early at 4:45 when Steelheads forward A.J. White slipped a shot by the netminder with a head fake to come within one again, 3-2. Montminy added his second of the night at 9:30 followed by an answer from Steelheads forward Kyle Schempp at 10:45 with a deflection on the power play to keep the game at a one-goal differential, 4-3. However, an empty net goal by Rush forward Justin Faryna at 19:55 sealed the result at 5-3.
Rush goaltender Adam Carlson (20-16-5) stopped 45 of 48 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (24-12-0) halted 22 of 26 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Rush pick up their series again on Friday, Mar. 29 at 7:10 p.m. at CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM and at 7:00 p.m. on Cable One Channel 72 and ECHL.TV.
Tickets for the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, will be available in the coming weeks, so follow idahosteelheads.com to see when tickets go on sale. Single-game tickets and ticket packages are available for the rest of the 2018-19 season. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 27, 2019
- Grizzlies Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads out Chance Rush, Fall 5-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Come up Short to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Beast Drop Close Game against Manchester - Brampton Beast
- Smooth Sailing: 'Blades Cruise to 5-2 Win over Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Scores Five Unanswered in Win over Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta's Offense Explodes in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Tame Mavericks on Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavs Losing Skid Reaches Six Games in 5-3 Loss at Cincy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thompson's Hat Trick Leads Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Fast Start for Komets Sinks K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Add One More to Roster - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - March 27 - ECHL
- South Jersey Native F Trevor Gooch Inks ECHL Deal - Reading Royals
- Preview: Everblades Continue Homestand with Series Opener against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Shut out Beast, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Here's How the Mavs Can Punch Their Ticket to the 2019 ECHL Playoffs Wednesday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Doug Heinzer Joins Swamp Rabbits' Ownership Group - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Owner Jack Gulati to Sign His New Book this Saturday - Allen Americans
- Walleye Add a D-Man - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Forward Mitch Moroz Agrees to Third Steelheads Season in 2019-20
- Forward Will Merchant Agrees to Return for 2019-20 Season
- Steelheads Name Everett Sheen as Franchise's Eighth Head Coach
- Defenseman Keegan Kanzig Returns to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Head Coach Neil Graham Appointed as Texas Stars Assistant Coach