Fast Start for Komets Sinks K-Wings
Fort Wayne, IN.- Fort Wayne jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first and the K-Wings weren't able to close the gap as they fell 5-1 on Wednesday night in Fort Wayne.
Kalamazoo (34-28-2-2) falls to four points back of the Komets, while still holding onto fourth place in the Central Division. Jade McMullen recorded his first professional point with an assist on the K-Wings lone goal.
The Komets stormed out to a 3-0 lead in the first period off of goals from Josh Elmes, Jake Kamrass and Shawn Szydlowski. Elmes opened the scoring with a shot from the left point that snuck through traffic just 1:57 into the game. Just under eight minutes in Kamrass netted his 18th of the season to double the lead, before Szydlowski pushed it to 3-0. Four minutes later the K-Wings found the back of the net, cutting the lead to 3-1 as Luke Sandler scored his tenth goal of the season. Fort Wayne extended the lead back to three goals before the end of the period as Ryan Lowney notched his fourth goal of the season.
After a scoreless second period the Komets pushed the lead to 5-1 late in the third. Justin Hodgman circled the net before putting a shot from the slot past Ivan Kulbakov, putting the Komets up 5-1.
Jake Hildebrand started the night for Kalamazoo surrendering three goals on eight shots before being pulled 8:47 into the first. Ivan Kulbakov finished the game stopping 15 of 17 shots for Kalamazoo. Alex Dubeau claimed his second professional victory stopping 22 of 23 Kalamazoo shots.
The K-Wings return to action on Friday night in Indianapolis taking on the Fuel in the second game of a season-ending seven game road trip.
Kalamazoo Wings full and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 27, 2019
- Grizzlies Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads out Chance Rush, Fall 5-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Come up Short to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Beast Drop Close Game against Manchester - Brampton Beast
- Smooth Sailing: 'Blades Cruise to 5-2 Win over Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Scores Five Unanswered in Win over Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta's Offense Explodes in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Tame Mavericks on Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavs Losing Skid Reaches Six Games in 5-3 Loss at Cincy - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thompson's Hat Trick Leads Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Fast Start for Komets Sinks K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Add One More to Roster - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - March 27 - ECHL
- South Jersey Native F Trevor Gooch Inks ECHL Deal - Reading Royals
- Preview: Everblades Continue Homestand with Series Opener against Norfolk - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Shut out Beast, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Here's How the Mavs Can Punch Their Ticket to the 2019 ECHL Playoffs Wednesday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Doug Heinzer Joins Swamp Rabbits' Ownership Group - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Owner Jack Gulati to Sign His New Book this Saturday - Allen Americans
- Walleye Add a D-Man - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.