Steelheads Close Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Walleye
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Idaho Steelheads (28-17-7) fell behind and couldn't make up the difference in a 4-1 loss to the Toledo Walleye (29-14-5) on Sunday evening from Huntington Center.
For the second-straight night, the Walleye jumped out to an early 1-0 lead thanks to a net front scramble leading to a push-in by forward Abbott Girduckis at 7:47 of the first period. However, the Steelheads answered back late in the opening frame at 18:34 when forward Spencer Naas ripped a shot from the left corner off the back of the netminder for the angled goal and a 1-1 scoreline heading into the second frame.
The Walleye were awarded three power plays in the second period and cashed in on their first attempt. At 6:03, Walleye defenseman Nolan Gluchowski floated a shot from the left point that snuck under the cross bar to leap back ahead, 2-1. The home side added a second tally thanks to forward T.J. Hensick on a breakaway at 16:31 to spread the lead to 3-1.
While the Steelheads pressed on, the Walleye pushed through one more goal at 15:31 of the third period on another net front play, this time on the man-advantage, scored by forward Marcus Vela to rest the scoreline at 4-1.
Walleye goaltender Billy Christopoulos (17-3-3) denied 31 of 32 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (22-8-5) halted 25 of 29 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7:10 p.m. against the Kansas City Mavericks. Tickets are available by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.tv.
The Hockey Starter Pack provides the benefits of the ultimate fan on the time you want! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2020
- Walleye Shine on Special Teams in Victory over Idaho - Toledo Walleye
- Jackson Scores Two in 5-2 Win over Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- IceMen Close Weekend with 3-1 Loss to Stingrays - Jacksonville IceMen
- Olson Guides Solar Bears Past Gladiators in 5-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Close Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Skid Continues in Sunday Matinee against Tulsa with 5-2 Loss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ustimenko's 33-Save Shutout Extends Royals to Six-Game Win Streak, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Railers Begin Road Trip with 3-0 Loss in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Win Wild Matinee - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rays Complete Perfect Week with 3-1 Win over IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Can't Catch Cyclones in One Goal Loss - Indy Fuel
- Glads Leave South Florida Broken-Hearted - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Jay Dickman Dealt to Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- D Drake, D Knodel and F Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, February 16, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Preview: Royals Host Railers Sunday - Reading Royals
- Romanko's Pair Gives Rush the Series against ECHL's #1 Team - Rapid City Rush
- Brodzinski, Cammarata Lift Solar Bears to Comeback Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Season Series with Second-Straight Win over Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Fall 3-2 in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Conclude 9 Game Road Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavs Defeated by Utah Saturday Night, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.