Rays Complete Perfect Week with 3-1 Win over IceMen
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Goals from Andrew Cherniwchan, Matthew Weis and Cole Ully were enough to get the South Carolina Stingrays (38-10-3-1) their fourth win in five days on Sunday in a 3-1 defeat of the Jacksonville Icemen (18-24-5-1) at the Veterans Memorial Arena.
Rays' goaltender Parker Milner made the start for the second straight day and earned the first star of the game with 16 saves to pick up his fourth straight win and 18th victory overall during the 2019-20 season. Weis (1g, 1a), Ully (1g, 1a) and Dan DeSalvo (2a) each registered two points for SC.
South Carolina leads all ECHL teams in the standings with 38 wins, 80 points and a points percentage of 0.769.
Cherniwchan put the Stingrays in front with a shorthanded goal at 6:06 of the opening period to make it 1-0. The captain's 25th goal of the year came unassisted and gave him tallies in five straight games.
Both Weis and Ully netted their 10th tallies of the season in the middle period to stretch the advantage for the Stingrays to three goals. Weis' strike came on the power play at 3:36 of the second on a tic-tac-toe setup from Ully and Dan DeSalvo.
Ully then made it 3-0 with a wrist shot from the slot at 7:14 with assists from Weis and DeSalvo.
South Carolina was able to keep the three-goal edge all the way until the final minute of the game, but the Icemen broke up Milner's shutout bid with just 22 seconds remaining on a goal by Chase Lang.
The Stingrays outshot Jacksonville 24-17 in the contest and had the only man-advantage goal in the game. SC finished 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Icemen were 0-for-4. Jacksonville goaltender Adam Carlson stopped 21 shots in a losing effort for the Icemen.
South Carolina is back in action on Tuesday night at the North Charleston Coliseum when they take on the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7:05 p.m.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2020
- Walleye Shine on Special Teams in Victory over Idaho - Toledo Walleye
- Jackson Scores Two in 5-2 Win over Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- IceMen Close Weekend with 3-1 Loss to Stingrays - Jacksonville IceMen
- Olson Guides Solar Bears Past Gladiators in 5-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Close Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Skid Continues in Sunday Matinee against Tulsa with 5-2 Loss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ustimenko's 33-Save Shutout Extends Royals to Six-Game Win Streak, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Railers Begin Road Trip with 3-0 Loss in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Win Wild Matinee - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rays Complete Perfect Week with 3-1 Win over IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Can't Catch Cyclones in One Goal Loss - Indy Fuel
- Glads Leave South Florida Broken-Hearted - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Jay Dickman Dealt to Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- D Drake, D Knodel and F Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, February 16, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Preview: Royals Host Railers Sunday - Reading Royals
- Romanko's Pair Gives Rush the Series against ECHL's #1 Team - Rapid City Rush
- Brodzinski, Cammarata Lift Solar Bears to Comeback Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Season Series with Second-Straight Win over Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Fall 3-2 in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Conclude 9 Game Road Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavs Defeated by Utah Saturday Night, 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.