Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2
CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Lake Erie Monsters opened up a two-goal lead in the first period and never looked back in a 5-2 loss for the Texas Stars on Halloween night at Quicken Loans Arena in front of 6,072 in attendance.
Five different players scored for Lake Erie (3-4-0-1) in the contest. Travis Morin (five games) and Curtis McKenzie (three games) each tallied assists for the Stars (4-2-1-0) to extend their respective point streaks.
Paul Carey opened up the game's scoring at 2:15 of the first with a power play goal for the Monsters. Trevor Cheek then followed up with his first of the season to make it a 2-0 score with just 18 seconds left in the period.
Lake Erie extended their lead to 3-0 at 1:25 of the second with a shorthanded goal from Stefan Elliot. It was the first shorthanded goal given up by the Stars this season. Karl Stollery added a fourth for the Monsters at 5:23.
Maxime Fortunus put the Stars on the board with a power play goal of his own at 7:40 of the middle frame. Scott Glennie and John Klingberg assisted on Fortunus' second of the season on the power play.
In the third, Derek Meech tallied his third of the season at 13:07 to help the Stars chip away at the deficit, but an empty-net goal with 1:47 left in the game cemented the final score.
Jack Campbell stopped all 13 shots he faced for Texas after relieving starter Jussi Rynnas early in the second period.
Both team's finished 1-for-4 on the power play.
Texas and Lake Erie will wrap up their weekend series on Saturday with a 5:00 p.m. CST puck drop.
1. Stefan Elliot (LE)
2. Trevor Cheek (LE)
3. Paul Carey (LE)
The Texas Stars entered the 2014-15 season as the AHL's defending Calder Cup Champions. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages for the 2014-15 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStarsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Dallas Stars Reduce Training Camp Roster
- STARS Dallas Stars Release 2019-20 Training Camp Roster and Schedule
- Stars and Moose Announce Game Time Change
- 2019-20 Stars Promotional Schedule Announced
- Texas Stars Forward Travis Morin Announces Retirement, Joins Front Office