Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0
MANCHESTER, NH - All tricks, no treats for the Manchester Monarchs as the Hershey Bears delivered a 4-0 loss on Friday's Halloween match-up.
"[We need to] concentrate more on getting pucks to the net," Head Coach Moke Stothers said. "[The] natural tendency is to try so hard to make a good play, now you are trying to make the perfect play or the perfect goal. I really feel that we need to start scoring some ugly goals before we worry about scoring the pretty ones. We will continue to drive that home."
The Monarchs (3-3-0-0) opened a three-game home stand 0-0 after even play in the first period against the Bears (6-2-0-0).
Hershey scored three goals in the second period for a 3-0 lead. The Bears' left wing Dane Byers netted the first goal with assists from center Kris Newbury and right wing Casey Wellman at 11:37. Wellman started the play when he kicked the puck to Newbury behind the net. Newbury fed Byers the puck to beat Monarchs' goalie Jean-Francois Berube stick side with a snap shot. Newbury recorded his 500th career point on the assist.
The Bears attacked again in the second period with a power play goal scored by Wellman at 15:34. From the point defenseman Connor Carrick passed to defenseman Tomas Kundratek and Wellman proceeded to deflect the puck passed Berube's left glove side.
Hershey's center Chris Brown scored with seconds remaining at 19:37 in the second period. Right wing Wellman left the puck along the boards for Brown. Brown skated into the slot and shot it stick side passed Berube.
Hershey solidified their win with an empty netter from defenseman Steve Oleksy with an assist from defenseman Mike Moore at 19:57 in the third period.
Monarchs return to Verizon Wireless Arena on Saturday for a match-up against St. John's Ice Caps (7 p.m.) and a rematch on Sunday against the Hershey Bears (3 p.m.).
* The Monarchs have been shut out in consecutive games. It marked the first time they lost back-to-back games at Verizon Wireless Arena since December 26-28, 2014.
* Manchester fell to 1-2 at home this season and are 2-1 on the road.
* Jamie McBain made his Monarchs debut with two shots on net.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.