New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters
The Lake Erie Monsters and Quicken Loans Arena have announced that a new seamless glass and dasher board system has been installed for the 2014-15 season and will debut tonight as the Monsters take on the Texas Stars at 7:30PM for their Halloween Clash. Athletica Sports Systems is the National Hockey League's Preferred Supplier of boards and glass, and manufactured the new materials for The Q. The new boards meet all specifications and requirements set by the NHL, and replace the original hockey boards that had been in place at The Q since 1994. The new dasher system will provide improved player safety and the glass system will dramatically improve the fan viewing experience at Monsters games.
"The new flex system of the boards and glass makes it much safer for the players. The seamless glass gives a truer bounce for puck going around the glass and the bottom of boards will also be truer as everything is new - we are definitely excited for both our players and our fans," said Monsters Director of Hockey Operations & Team Services Jock Callander, who also serves as an assistant coach for Cleveland's American Hockey League team. Callander has been involved with hockey in Cleveland since the early 1990's.
Below are some of the detailed specifics for the newly installed boards and glass:
- Frames to be structural aluminum and 39' 1/2" high. Typical 8' length.
- Frames to be constructed with conversion friendly 3/8" thick x 3" high x 6" wide aluminum 6005-T6
alloyed angle base.
- 5 player gates 30" wide.
- 2 penalty gates 30" wide.
- 2 access gate 60" wide in the radius of the rink.
- Two 120" wide double leaf machine gates for the end of the rink.
- 6 lift out sections 48" wide for the sides of the rink.
- 4 lift out sections 48" wide for radius-straight side of the rink.
STEEL ICE DAM
- 2" x 8.2 #/ft. x 6" steel ice dam, complete with 1/2" NHL Yellow polyethylene attached to the ice
side of the channel. The poly facing shall be attached every 9" on center using 1/4" diameter nylon
nails Nylon nails will be set 1/4" below facing of Kick Plate .
- 1 1/2" Rigid SM insulation shall be cut to size and friction fit to the under side of the ice dam to
minimize condensation buildup. The insulation shall be bonded in place using construction
adhesive on front and back edge of channel. All voids around anchor locations shall be filled with
expanding urethane foam.
- Each 8' ice dam section shall include two stationary anchor plates welded to the underside of the
channel. The steel plate locations are utilized to secure the ice dam to the existing concrete floor
anchors using 5/8" x 1 1/2" hex head cap screws. Anchors to be approx. 1 every 4' on center.
- Athletica CheckFlex© system to be added to the rink ends, through radius and 24' down the
- .500" thick Crystaplex© Stay-White polyethylene board Facing.
- .500" thick x 8" high, polyethylene Kickplate, inlaid flush with the facing.
- An extra aluminum stringer to be included in frames structure to support facing and Kickplate.
- 1" thick polyethylene SOFTCAP© Safety Caprail on ice side of shielding.
GLAZING AND SUPPORTS
- New CrystaPlex© 590 Plus 44" wide X 96" high acrylic for radius and ends of rink.
- New CrystaPlex© 590 Plus 96" wide X 72" high acrylic for both sides of rink.
- The shielding system is to be CrystaPlex© Seamless GlassFlex© for sides and ends of rink.
- New HDM polycarbonate sleeves full height of shielding.
- WIDE VISION shielding layout.
PLAYERS, PENALTY AND TIME KEEPERS - BOXES
- Player boxes are to be 30' long and 6' deep with side and back walls.
- Penalty boxes are to be 10' long and 6' deep with side and back walls.
- Penalty and timers boxes are to be located opposite the player benches.
- 2 additional 36" wide gates are to be provided for player's box.
- 2 additional 30" gates are to be provided for Penalty box divider walls.
PLAYERS PENALTY AND TIME KEEPERS - SHIELDS
- 72" high CrystaPlex© 590 Plus acrylic for the sides and back of the player's boxes.
- 72" high CrystaPlex© 590 Plus acrylic for the front and sides and back of the penalty boxes.
- 72" high CrystaPlex© 590 Plus acrylic for the front and sides and back of the timer's box.
- Acrylic in front of the scorer's table shall have a 2-1/2" diameter speak hole.
- Bumper pads are to be provided on supports at shield's termination points.
PLAYERS, PENALTY AND TIME KEEPERS - FLOORS
- Floors for the players, penalty and timers boxes are to be aluminum framed construction with 3/4"
plywood screwed to base. Floors to be 8" high.
- Coaches walkway, 6" high by 24" wide is to be provided for each players box.
PLAYERS PENALTY AND TIME KEEPERS - BENCHES
- Benches are 1" thick density polyethylene top fastened to a 9 1/2"wide aluminum channel.
- Player box benches are to be 27' long and standard NHL height.
- Benches in the penalty boxes are to be 9' long and standard NHL height.
- Player and penalty benches are to be removable.
- Poly timers table is to be provided for the full length of timekeeper's box.
The Monsters play a pair of games at home this weekend versus the defending Calder Cup Champions, the Texas Stars (Halloween Night, Friday, October 31th at 7:30 PM and Saturday, November 1st at 6:00 PM). Single game tickets for these games and for all 2014-15 season games are on sale now. Full season Monsters Hockey Club memberships, partial season, group ticket and birthday bash packages are also on sale. Tickets can be purchased by visiting LakeErieMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000, visiting The Q Box Office or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Wyatt Newpower to AHL Contract
- Doyle Somerby Named Cleveland Monsters 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- American Hockey League Suspends Play
- Monsters Gain Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Checkers
- COVID-19 Statement from Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse