Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale
MANCHESTER, N.H. - Philipp Grubauer made 26 saves, Casey Wellman padded his power-play goal scoring lead and Kris Newbury tallied his 500th American Hockey League point as the Hershey Bears skated past the Manchester Monarchs 4-0 on Friday night at Verizon Wireless Arena.
The Bears continued their strong penalty killing of the early season, negating two Manchester chances in the opening period. Both goaltenders faced a few tricky scoring chances but kept the puck out of their nets after one period.
Things changed drastically in the second, as Hershey exploded for their three goals beginning with a turnover forced behind the Manchester net. Newbury did the honors, and immediately sent a pass in front. Dane Byers wasted no time in ripping a one-timer over Jean-Francois Berube's shoulder for his third goal of the season at 11:37.
The Bears then earned their first power play of the game, and made good just 24 seconds into it. Tomas Kundratek sent a slap-pass from the left point right onto Wellman's tape, and the forward redirected the pass behind Berube from the hash marks at 15:34. The goal was Wellman's league-leading fifth power play marker.
Chris Brown, playing in his first game with Hershey since his reassignment, opened the game up with his first of the season with 23 seconds left in the middle period. His snap shot from the left circle got by the short side of Berube for a 3-0 advantage.
After three more successful penalty kills in the third period, Hershey put the contest away when Steve Oleksy fired a slapper into an empty net with three seconds left on the clock.
Grubauer improves to 3-2-0 with the win, while Berube made 18 saves on 21 shots and fell to 2-2-0.
Hershey closes October with a record of 6-2-0-0 and holds the East Division lead heading into the new month.
The Bears continue their weekend road trip tomorrow, November 1, with a 7:00 PM face-off against the Worcester Sharks. Fans may listen to the game on the Bears Radio Network of affiliates WQIC-FM 100.1, WTKT-AM 1460, WOYK-AM 1350 and iHeart Radio (1460 AM), or may watch the game for a fee on AHLLive.com.
The Bears return home to battle the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday, November 8 at 7:00 PM. Tickets for this game and all home contests may be purchased at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online at TicketMaster.com. Information on group tickets and season tickets for the 2014-2015 Hershey Bears regular season is available by calling (717) 508-BEAR. Many different flexible plans are offered and start as low as $170.
NOTES: The Bears scratches were D Erik Burgdoerfer, RW Chris Conner, RW Stanislav Galiev and D Patrick Wey... Manchester scratched LW Vincent Arseneau, D Andrew Bodnarchuk, D Nick Ebert and D Kevin Gravel... Three stars: 3-Brown, 2-Grubauer, 1-Wellman...Hershey finished the night 1-for-2 on the power play and 6-for-6 on the penalty kill...Kris Newbury became the seventh Hershey player since 2009 to record his 500th AHL point in a Hershey sweater (Jeff Taffe, Jon DiSalvatore, Boyd Kane, Bryan Helmer, Alexandre Giroux and Keith Aucoin)...The Bears have scored the game's first goal in all eight contests...Tonight was the first game in which Hershey was outshot by the opposition.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend
- Hershey's March 20 Game at Lehigh Valley Added to TV Schedule
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina
- Bears Comeback Late, Fall in Shootout to Bruins