Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals
Portland, ME - The Portland Pirates (4-5-0-0) took over the third period to overtake the St. John's Ice Caps (3-4-3-0) at the Cross Arena in Portland ME with an explosion of five goals in the second half of the third period. Throughout the first two periods the Pirates overcame a two goal deficit on two different occasions.
The St. John's Ice Caps quickly went up 2-0 scoring back to back power play goals. The first of which was a 5 on 3 power play scored at 11:23 by Ben Chiarot, assisted Will O'Neil and John Albert while Jordan Szwarz served a two minute penalty for tripping and Mark Louis in for Boarding. The second of the Ice Caps power play goals came from John Albert at 13:15, assisted by Brenden Kichton, and Nicolas Blanchard. The Pirates answered back quick with a goal at 13:37 scored by Evan Oberg, assisted by Alex Bolduc and Tobias Rieder.
The Ice Caps scored within the first 20 seconds of the second period with a goal by Carl Klingberg assisted by Julian Mulchiori and JC Lipon. The Pirates answered back 5 minutes later with an Andrew Campbell goal at 5:40 into the second period. Assisted by Lucas Lessio and Evan Oberg. The Pirates went on to score a total of 6 unanswered goals between the 5:40 mark in the second frame to the end of the game.
At 10:44 in the third period the onslaught began. Andrew Campbell scored to tied the game, assisted Brendan Shinnimin. Less than two minutes later Brandon Gormly scored at 12:25 assisted by assisted by Alex Bolduc and Henrik Samuelsson. Tobias Rieder scored at 17:18 assisted by Alex Bolduc starting a three goal streak within 2 minutes. The fallowing two goals were scored by Branden Shinnimin with an empty netter. Then another by Darian Dziurzynski at 18:25, assisted Eric Selleck.
The Pirates hit the road on Sunday when they will take on the Devils in Albany NY, at 3:pm. The Pirates will also travel to Providence for a 7:05 game against the Bruins. The Pirates return home next Saturday November 8th for Military Appreciation Night. They will host the Leihigh Valley Phantoms at 7:00 pm at the Cross Insurance Arena. For tickets call 207-PIRATES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.