IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween
The St. John's IceCaps held the lead for the majority of the game but couldn't finish off the Portland Pirates, who stormed back to win 7-3 Friday night at Cross Insurance Arena at Portland, Maine.
Up 3-2 after two periods, the IceCaps surrendered five third period goals in losing their second straight game.
John Albert had a goal and an assist while Ben Chiarot and Carl Klingberg also scored for St. John's. Connor Hellebuyck made 36 saves in the loss.
Despite not registering their first shot until the 10:14 mark of the opening period, St. John's got on the board first at 11:23 on a two-man advantage. Will O'Neill fed Chiarot for a one-timer at the point and the rearguard blasted a bullet past Louis Domingue to make it 1-0.
At 13:15, the IceCaps extended their lead to 2-0. Albert and Kichton played give-and-go before Kichton threw the puck at the net from the right side. Albert was there to pounce on the rebound and bury it past Domingue for a 2-0 advantage.
Just 19 seconds later, Portland cut the lead in half. Evan Oberg fired a shot from the point that beat Hellebuyck to make it a 2-1 game.
The teams traded goals early in the second period. After Klingberg potted his third of the season on a rebound just 12 seconds into the middle frame, the Pirates got that one back at the 5:40 mark on a power play blast from Andrew Campbell, making it a 3-2 game.
Portland struck on another power play midway through the third period to tie things up. Campbell held the puck at the blue line and danced along the ride side boards before firing a wrist shot on goal that eluded Hellebuyck to make it 3-3.
The Pirates surged ahead at 12:25 of the third on a goal by Brandon Gormley. Taking a pass just over the IceCaps blueline, Gormley waited before snapping a shot from the top of the left circle past Hellebuyck for a 4-3 lead.
Tobias Reider potted a goal at 17:18 before Brendan Shinnimin scored into an empty net to make it 6-3. Darian Dziurzynski added another goal just 15 seconds later.
The IceCaps travel to Manchester Saturday to face the Monarchs for the second of three games this weekend (8:30 PM NDT). Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnicecaps.com and 930AM, or watch live on AHL Live.
Notes: Not dressed for St. John's: Jason Jaffray, Kyle MacKinnon, Julien Brouillette, Eric O'Dell, Scott Kosmachuk ... St. John's went 1-for-3 on the power play and 0-for-2 on the penalty kill... After going five games without a power play goal, the IceCaps have scored with the man advantage in two straight... Patrice Cormier was re-assigned to St. John's prior to Friday's game and will join the club Saturday in Manchester... Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. Andrew Campbell 2. Evan Oberg 3. Alexandre Bolduc... Mary Brown's Hardest Working Player: John Albert.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 31, 2014
- Griffins Drop 6-5 OT Decision to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Drop 6-3 Decision to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Offense Comes Alive as IceHogs Defeat Rampage - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Snap Skid with 3-2 OT Victory over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals, Yip Slip by Penguins, 3-2, in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Top Stars 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Survive Comets 4-3 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Erase 3-0 Deficit But Ultimately Lose 4-3 in OT - Utica Comets
- Wannstrom's OT Winner Caps Wolves Rally - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Special Teams Struggle in 3-0 Loss to Americans - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Spook IceCaps with Six Unanswered Goals - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Candy Crushed by Hershey, 4-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Makarov, Amerks Shutout Crunch in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Stars Fall to Monsters on the Road, 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Bears Stymie Monarchs in October Finale - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Can't Contain Pirates on Halloween - St. John's IceCaps
- Florida Panthers Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Launch New Website - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Kings Announce Roster Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals to Host Straw Poll of Governor's Race this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Attempt to Break World Record in Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- New Glass, Dasher Board System Installed at Home of The Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Fall to Bulldogs 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Springfield Falcons to Honor Head Equipment Manager Ralph Calvanese - Springfield Falcons
- Registration for Downtown Career Fair Closes Monday - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Cedric Paquette to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop Checkers 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Assign Budish to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Assigns Branden Troock to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Honor Face off against Kids Cancer Member - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Toyota Frozen Dome Classic Adopt-A-Kid Campaign with Ticket Donation - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to St. John's - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Reassign Darling to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Springfield Falcons Hold 'Winning Wednesday' November 5 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Peter Sivak - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Sign McBain - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.