Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (12-10-2-0) reeled off three straight goals in the first period en route to a 3-2 win over the Jacksonville Icemen (9-10-1-1) on Friday night at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
View tonight's box score
Jerry D'Amigo scored his third of the season at 2:11 and on the penalty kill to give Orlando the lead, and Jake Coughler redirected Mark Auk's shot four minutes later for his 10th of the season.
Coughler then helped set up J.J. Piccinich at 15:53 to push the Solar Bears to a 3-0 lead, as he fed Piccinich from his knees just inside the Jacksonville blue line, and Piccinich skated in and deked around Charles Williams before burying his third of the season.
Ara Nazarian found twine for the Icemen just 56 seconds into the middle frame, but the Solar Bears limited the Icemen to just five shots on goal in the period to maintain their lead over the visitors.
Jacksonville's Derek Lodermeier cut the lead to one goal at 13:32 of the third, but Clint Windsor made 16 saves in the final frame to secure the victory for Orlando.
Windsor finished the night with a 25-for-27 outing; Williams took the loss for the Icemen with 21 saves on 24 shots against.
1) Jake Coughler - ORL
2) Aaron Luchuk - ORL
3) Luke McInnis - ORL
Orlando is now 3-1-0-0 this season against Jacksonville; the Solar Bears improved to a lifetime 19-0-0-0 record on home ice against the Icemen
Tristin Langan (1g-9a) and Luchuk (2g-5a) both earned solitary assists, extending their point streaks to six games; Luchuk's 20 points on the season has him currently tied for 12th in league scoring
Coughler has four goals in his last three games, and is the first Solar Bears player to reach double-digit goals this season
Windsor was credited with 59:45 of action tonight, giving him 2,573 minutes in his career, and moving him past John Curry (2,543) for third on the team's all-time minutes played list
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears continue their regular season series with the Jacksonville Icemen when they take the ice at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. The Solar Bears are back on home ice to host the Florida Everblades at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center on Friday, March 5 at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 27, 2021
- Rush Win Back-To-Back against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Pull Even on Weekend Series with 3-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Comeback Falls Short vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Power Play Key to Grizzlies 4-3 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Late Power Play Goal Lifts Utah, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Give up Eight to Komets in Second Meeting of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Novak's Shootout Heroics Propel Rays to Win in Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Correction: Third Period Charge Not Enough to Lift Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Blades Shoot for Ten Straight Tonight - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, February 27, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wheeling, February 27, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, February 27 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Greenville - Allen Americans
- Thunder Battles Back; Falls Short in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Win Back-And-Forth Affair in OT against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeated by Tulsa Friday Night, 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Blades Stop Rays' Miracle Comeback in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Moynihan's Hat Trick Powers Oilers Past Mavericks in Pleskach's 500th Game - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Ingham makes 44 saves to snap Solar Bears win streak in 5-0 loss
- Windsor shuts door on Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 win
- Nikita Pavlychev Returns to Solar Bears
- Bird, LeBlanc lift Solar Bears to 4-3 OT win over Swamp Rabbits
- Tonight's Start Time for Game against Greenville Delayed Until 7:30 p.m. ET