Late Power Play Goal Lifts Utah, 4-3
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers battled some adversity on Saturday night, and very nearly picked up a point in their game against the Utah Grizzlies. Unfortunately, a power play goal by Ryan Lowney with 5:01 left in the third period was the difference, as Utah skated away with a 4-3 decision. Aaron Thow had a goal and an assist for the Nailers.
The Nailers had a great start to the first period, but things took a unique turn to put them behind at the intermission. Austin Fyten put the home team on the scoreboard first at the 5:11 mark, as he connected on a give-and-go with Nick Rivera, which resulted in Fyten blazing home a one-timer from the left circle. However, penalties dictated the remainder of the frame, as Wheeling was whistled for four in a row. Utah drew even on the power play, as Trey Bradley deflected a pass from Riley Woods, which produced a rebound goal for A.J. White. A little more than three minutes later, the Grizzlies scored at even strength, as Miles Gendron swept in a wrist shot from the top of the right circle.
The middle frame had a challenging start for the Nailers, but they hung in there and were able to tie things up before all was said and done. Hunter Skinner banked a shorthanded shot off the glass and in to put Utah ahead, 3-1, then Wheeling had a goal disallowed for goaltender interference. Not to be discouraged, the Nailers pulled within one shortly after, when Aaron Thow hammered in a slap shot from the center point. Then, with 1:16 remaining in the period, Evan Wardley's wrist shot from the right point created a rebound, which was stashed in by Lawton Courtnall for a 3-3 deadlock.
The tilt remained tied until the 14:59 mark of the third period, when the Grizzlies went ahead with a power play goal. Ryan Lowney's wrist shot from the center point hit Alex D'Orio's right pad and bounced in over the goal line. Wheeling was unable to recover from that, as Utah prevailed, 4-3.
Brad Barone was the winning netminder for the Grizzlies, as he made 27 saves on 30 shots. Alex D'Orio took the loss for the Nailers with 31 saves on 35 shots.
The Nailers and Grizzlies will conclude their weekend series in Wheeling on Sunday at 4:10. A limited number of tickets are available for Wheeling Nailers home games, and season memberships and flex packs are also available. To purchase yours or to get more information, visit wheelingnailers.com or call (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers score against the Utah Grizzlies
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 27, 2021
- Rush Win Back-To-Back against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Pull Even on Weekend Series with 3-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Comeback Falls Short vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Power Play Key to Grizzlies 4-3 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Late Power Play Goal Lifts Utah, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Give up Eight to Komets in Second Meeting of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Novak's Shootout Heroics Propel Rays to Win in Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Correction: Third Period Charge Not Enough to Lift Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Blades Shoot for Ten Straight Tonight - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, February 27, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wheeling, February 27, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, February 27 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Greenville - Allen Americans
- Thunder Battles Back; Falls Short in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Win Back-And-Forth Affair in OT against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeated by Tulsa Friday Night, 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Blades Stop Rays' Miracle Comeback in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Moynihan's Hat Trick Powers Oilers Past Mavericks in Pleskach's 500th Game - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.