Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen
ORLANDO, Fla. - Tristin Langan and Aaron Luchuk each scored to extend their point streaks to seven games, but the Orlando Solar Bears (12-10-3-0) only managed to pick up a point in the standings as the club fell to the Jacksonville Icemen (10-10-1-1) by a 3-2 score in overtime on Saturday night at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.
Luchuk's snap shot from the right circle beat Kyle Keyser for a power-play goal at 12:51 of the first period to give Orlando a 1-0 lead.
The Icemen countered with two goals in a three-minute span in the second period, as Nick Saracino (6:50) and Brendan Warren (9:50) beat Michael Lackey to give the hosts a 2-1 edge.
Langan tied the score at 11:42 of the frame when he knocked in Michael Prapavessis' rebound for his fifth of the season.
Lackey came up with a breakaway stop on Ara Nazarian midway through the third period to preserve the 2-2 tie. Pascal Aquin was later sent to the box at 17:26 on a double-minor call for high-sticking, but the Solar Bears were unable to capitalize in the remaining time left in regulation.
In overtime, Aquin saucered a pass over to Craig Martin, who snapped a shot past Lackey to win the game for Jacksonville.
Lackey went 24-for-27 on the night; Keyser got the decision for Jacksonville with a 21-for-23 performance.
1) Craig Martin - JAX
2) Nick Saracino - JAX
3) Jake Coughler - ORL
Langan (2g-9a) and Luchuk (3g-5a) now have seven-game point streaks following their goals;
Jake Coughler had his second-straight multi-point game with two assists; the forward now has a four-game point streak (4g-3a)
Orlando is 3-1-1-0 against Jacksonville this season
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears conclude their weekend series with the Jacksonville Icemen at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on Sunday, Feb. 28 at 3 p.m. The Solar Bears are back on home ice to host the Florida Everblades at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center on Friday, March 5 at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 27, 2021
- Rush Win Back-To-Back against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Pull Even on Weekend Series with 3-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Comeback Falls Short vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Power Play Key to Grizzlies 4-3 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Late Power Play Goal Lifts Utah, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Give up Eight to Komets in Second Meeting of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Novak's Shootout Heroics Propel Rays to Win in Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Correction: Third Period Charge Not Enough to Lift Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Blades Shoot for Ten Straight Tonight - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, February 27, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wheeling, February 27, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, February 27 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Greenville - Allen Americans
- Thunder Battles Back; Falls Short in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Win Back-And-Forth Affair in OT against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeated by Tulsa Friday Night, 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Blades Stop Rays' Miracle Comeback in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Moynihan's Hat Trick Powers Oilers Past Mavericks in Pleskach's 500th Game - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.