Comeback Falls Short vs. Rapid City
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita and Rapid City resumed their mini-series on Saturday night with the Rush holding on for a 3-2 win against the Thunder at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Rapid City rolled off three-unanswered goals after allowing the Thunder to score first for the second game in a row.
Stefan Fournier and Peter Crinella provided the offense while Dean Stewart and Jay Dickman each had a pair of helpers.
Halfway through the first period, Fournier scored his 11th of the year to make it 1-0. Dickman carried the puck through the neutral zone, dished it off to Stewart and he found Fournier with a beautiful backhand pass near the front of the net. Hunter Garlent tied it 1:20 later as he spun at the edge of the right circle and beat Alex Sakellaropoulos for his fifth of the year.
The two teams combined for three goals in the second period. Rapid City rattled off the next two to take a 3-1 lead. At 1:49, Avery Peterson redirected a shot from Tyler Coulter to give the Rush a 2-1 advantage. Less than five minutes later, Coulter scored with assists to Garlent and Mikael Tam to make it 3-1. Crinella cut the lead in half with his sixth of the season at 13:23 to make it 3-2.
In the third, both teams had chances on the power play as Sean Allen was called for roughing. Wichita was given a power play two minutes later when Peterson caught Patrik Parkkonen in the face with his stick. Both teams were unsuccessful on their chances. Sakellaropoulos was pulled for the extra attacker, but Rapid City held off the charge and won the contest.
Crinella has three goals in his last two games and points in four of the last five. Dean Stewart and Jay Dickman each picked up assists.
The Thunder closes the weekend with another meeting against Rapid City tomorrow at 4:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 27, 2021
- Rush Win Back-To-Back against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Pull Even on Weekend Series with 3-1 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Comeback Falls Short vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Power Play Key to Grizzlies 4-3 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Late Power Play Goal Lifts Utah, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Give up Eight to Komets in Second Meeting of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Novak's Shootout Heroics Propel Rays to Win in Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Correction: Third Period Charge Not Enough to Lift Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Blades Shoot for Ten Straight Tonight - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, February 27, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wheeling, February 27, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, February 27 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Greenville - Allen Americans
- Thunder Battles Back; Falls Short in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Win Back-And-Forth Affair in OT against Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeated by Tulsa Friday Night, 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Blades Stop Rays' Miracle Comeback in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Moynihan's Hat Trick Powers Oilers Past Mavericks in Pleskach's 500th Game - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.