Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Growlers, 5-1
ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - The Orlando Solar Bears (31-21-4-0) opened their first-ever visit to Atlantic Canada with a 5-1 loss to the Newfoundland Growlers (39-16-4-0) on Friday night at Mile One Centre.
Mathieu Foget opened the scoring at 6:32 of the first period when Mitch Hults intercepted a Growlers clearing attempt along the right wing boards and found Chris LeBlanc in the slot, who dished the puck over to Foget at the right side of the net, allowing the rookie to bury his 17th of the season past Michael Garteig.
Scott Pooley tied the score at 1-1 at 11:49 with a power-play score as he buried a back-door feed from Marcus Power past Connor Ingram.
Newfoundland pulled ahead with another power-play goal in the second period, as Power beat Ingram at 13:39 to make it 2-1 in favor of the hosts.
The Growlers extended their lead to 3-1 at 14:20 when Brady Ferguson buried a shot from between the hash marks.
Pooley netted his second goal of the evening on the man advantage at 10:36 of the third period when he one-timed a shot from the left circle.
Ferguson capped the scoring at 19:31 with a redirected goal that came off a pass from Corey Dunn.
Ingram took the loss with a 37-save effort on 42 shots against; Garteig picked up the win for Newfoundland with 24 stops on 25 shots against.
1) Scott Pooley - NFL
2) Ryan Moore - NFL
3) Brady Ferguson - NFL
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears continue their series with the Growlers at Mile One Centre on Saturday, March 9 at 5:30 p.m. EST. The Solar Bears return home on Wednesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday against the Florida Everblades, featuring $5 wine specials throughout the game. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for this game.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 20 Club: 'Blades Clinch Playoff Spot with 3-1 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Fall to First-Place Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Comeback against Fuel in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Conacher's Late Tally Earns Thunder a Point on Emotional Night - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavs Complete Stunning Comeback in Allen, Win 9-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Railers Win 4th Straight After 3-2 Shootout Win at Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Bushee, McDonald Have Multi-Point Nights as K-Wings Fall 3-2 in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Unable to Overcome Everblades in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Tschantz Scores Twice as Mariners Top Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Keep Rays Quiet in Series Opener Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Justin Faryna Named 10th Captain of the Rapid City Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Growlers, 5-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Tame the Solar Bears 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Todd Mackin Named Next President of Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Riley and Sakellaropoulos Get Calls to AHL - Adirondack Thunder
- Steve McParland Re-Joins Steelheads Prior to Tonight - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- Oilers Sign Ferris State Forward Craig Pefley - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Eye Playoff Spot Clinch, Host Gladiators on Friday - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Add Muskegon Native, Former Jr. K-Wing Trevor Boyd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- McKenzie Returns from AHL's Bruins - Atlanta Gladiators
- Atlanta Gets Furgele from Maine in Exchange for Troock - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Three-Game Homestand Kicks off against Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.