Swamp Rabbits Fall in Shootout
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Down 2-0 and buoyed by 26 saves in regulation from goaltender Garrett Bartus, the Greenville Swamp Rabbits fought back to tie the game and send it to overtime. However, the Jacksonville Icemen ended the game in a shootout in the fourth round, and defeated the Swamp Rabbits 3-2 on Friday night at the Veterans Memorial Arena.
The Swamp Rabbits had an opportunity to win the game twice, but Bartus could not stop Kris Newbury in the third round, and after a magnificent deke from Dajon Mingo, the game-winner, Michael Pelech could not respond in the bottom of the fourth. Tyler Bird scored the lone goal in the shootout for Greenville in the second round.
Without Bartus' performance, the game would have ended long before the shootout. He made five incredible saves throughout the course of overtime just to force a shootout, and two big saves in the shootout to keep it within reach.
Adam Larkin's tying goal at the 17:36 mark of the third period came off of a faceoff win at 4-on-4. Bird and Dylan Vander Esch helped win the draw back, and Larkin fired away for his second goal in as many games to get the game tied.
Brendan Harms started the comeback effort with a goal of his own midway through the third period. With the Icemen scrambling, Thomas Ebbing put the puck to the netmouth, and Harms stashed it home for his 12th of the season.
Jacksonville and Greenville played to a scoreless first period, even after a spirited tilt between Austen Brassard and noted enforcer Garet Hunt. It was Jacksonville that ended up with the momentum from another tilt in the second between Kris Newbury and Stephen Pierog, and took off from there.
Cody Fowlie converted on some chaos in the Greenville defensive zone. Chris Rygus and Christophe Lalancette worked the puck in the offensive zone until Fowlie found himself open. His initial bid was denied by Bartus, but he converted on the rebound early in the second to give Jacksonville the lead.
The Icemen broke the Swamp Rabbits' collective hearts after Brassard was denied by Jacksonville goaltender Kevin Appleby right on the doorstep. At the other end, Newbury set up Hunt for an insurance marker on a shot from the slot at the 17:42 mark of the second.
Both teams' special teams were silent in the game, but it was the Swamp Rabbits who forced seven power play opportunities in the game, and could not convert. For the seventh straight game, Greenville's penalty kill held the opponent off of the board.
Shots favored Jacksonville 33-27 for the game.
The back-to-back with Jacksonville concludes on Saturday, March 9 at 7:00 p.m. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or on ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 20 Club: 'Blades Clinch Playoff Spot with 3-1 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Fall to First-Place Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Comeback against Fuel in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Conacher's Late Tally Earns Thunder a Point on Emotional Night - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavs Complete Stunning Comeback in Allen, Win 9-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Railers Win 4th Straight After 3-2 Shootout Win at Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Bushee, McDonald Have Multi-Point Nights as K-Wings Fall 3-2 in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Unable to Overcome Everblades in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Tschantz Scores Twice as Mariners Top Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Keep Rays Quiet in Series Opener Friday Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Justin Faryna Named 10th Captain of the Rapid City Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Growlers, 5-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Tame the Solar Bears 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Todd Mackin Named Next President of Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Riley and Sakellaropoulos Get Calls to AHL - Adirondack Thunder
- Steve McParland Re-Joins Steelheads Prior to Tonight - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- Oilers Sign Ferris State Forward Craig Pefley - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Eye Playoff Spot Clinch, Host Gladiators on Friday - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- K-Wings Add Muskegon Native, Former Jr. K-Wing Trevor Boyd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- McKenzie Returns from AHL's Bruins - Atlanta Gladiators
- Atlanta Gets Furgele from Maine in Exchange for Troock - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Three-Game Homestand Kicks off against Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Atlantic Hockey Scoring Champion Austin McIlmurray Signs
- Two-Way Defenseman Frank Hora Signs with Greenville
- Former Cardiff Devil Bryce Reddick Joins Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Releases Initial 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule
- Join Us for Swamp Rabbits Day at the Triumph