Senators Beat Cleveland for First Time in Franchise History
The Belleville Senators collected its first ever win over the Cleveland Monsters Wednesday night with a 3-2 victory.
The Sens had goals from Joseph LaBate, Filip Chlapik and Logan Brown while Filip Gustavsson made 35 saves. Cleveland's Jean-Francois Berube turned aside nine shots with Nathan Gerbe, Sonny Milano finding the back of the net.
After a scoreless first, the Senators grabbed a 1-0 lead at 7:14 of the second period through LaBate's fourth of the season as he tipped in Julius Bergman's point shot from just inside the blue line. The Monsters found an equalizer at 11:31 as after Bergman blocked a shot out front, Gerbe was able to poke home a loose puck in a scramble in the crease for his ninth of the year.
Belleville restored its lead with 1:13 left in the second as Chlapik fired in a one-timer from essentially one knee from the slot off of Brown's feed for a 2-1 Senators lead after 40 minutes.
Cleveland tied the game just 1:50 into the third period through Milano but the Sens clinched the game-winner with 8:42 left as he skated behind the net before moving out front to beat Berube with a nice backhander for his sixth of the season.
Neither team could find the back of the net in the opening frame but despite having just two shots in the period, the Senators came closest to scoring through Bergman whose shot from the slot was turned aside by the right pad of Berube after Joseph LaBate's fine pass from behind the Monsters net.
Chlapik's goal was the 50th point in the AHL, all of which have come with the Sens. He became the second player in franchise history to tally 50 points with the Senators.
Belleville is back in action on Friday when they visit the Grand Rapids Griffins for the first time in franchise history. The Senators are back home on Nov. 25 when they host the Toronto Marlies and tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Join the Griffins for Toy Night and a Rubik's Cube Giveaway against Milwaukee Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz to Host Book Signing at Hogs Game February 1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Assigns Lashoff to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manning Recalled, Iacopelli Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Third Straight Three-Game Weekend Opens on Home Ice Friday vs. Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Comes to Tucson for 1-2-3 Food Night and Harry Potter Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blues Recall Mackenzie MacEachern - San Antonio Rampage
- Senators Beat Cleveland for First Time in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Recall Goaltender Jean-Francois Berube from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Reassign Cederholm and Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Cornell, Gillam from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Fall to San Jose - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Goals Aplenty in Gulls' 7-4 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Quine Nets Three But Heat Fall 7-4 to San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Tie for Second in Division with 3-1 Win over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Defeated by San Antonio 5-4 Wednesday Night - Iowa Wild
- Stars Extend Home Point Streak in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- MacEachern Scores Twice in Record-Setting Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Lose for First Time in 2019 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.