Barracuda Roll Past Reign 3-1
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (21-7-1-3) kicked off a five-game home stand on Wednesday at SAP Center with a 3-1 win over the Ontario Reign (10-17-3-2). The victory was San Jose's fourth-straight against the Los Angeles Kings affiliate. San Jose has now outscored Ontario 14-to-5 over the first four games of the eight-game season series.
San Jose had a multitude of scoring chances early on Wednesday and ended up cashing in when Jayden Halbgewachs (8) centered a pass to the slot intended for Antti Suomela and the puck ricocheted off a Reign defender and in past Cal Petersen along the left side at 5:41. The 'Cuda would take that 1-0 lead into the dressing room despite being outshot 11-to-eight in the first period.
In the second, Antoine Bibeau and Petersen stopped all 10 shots they faced including a few grade-A looks on the man advantage and the game remained 1-0 in favor of San Jose through 40 minutes.
The Barracuda would double their lead less than two minutes into the third period when Jon Martin (6) got beyond the Ontario defense, on a broken play just inside the blueline, and snuck a quick shot through Peterson's five-hole as he moved in alone on Ontario's netminder. Ontario's hopes of a comeback gained life when Reign captain Brett Sutter (8) took advantage of a bad turnover deep in Barracuda territory on the PK and snapped a puck over the glove of Bibeau to bring the score to 2-1 at 8:25. The comeback attempt was thwarted by San Jose when Halbgewachs (9) intercepted a pass at his blueline before skating up ice and potting the empty netter to give the Barracuda a 3-1 lead.
Bibeau (8-5-3) earned his second win in a row by making 32 saves on 33 shots, while Petersen (2-6-3) suffered his fourth-straight defeat after allowing a pair of goals on 28 shots.
Wednesday's game marked the beginning of a five-game homestand for the Barracuda, as they ready for a third-straight meeting against the same Ontario Reign (Los Angeles Kings) on Friday, January 11th at 7PM against. The game on Friday will feature $10 tickets and reduced prices on concessions, including $2 beers and $1 hot dogs. You can follow the game live on 1220 KDOW, the Sharks App, or online with AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Join the Griffins for Toy Night and a Rubik's Cube Giveaway against Milwaukee Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz to Host Book Signing at Hogs Game February 1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Assigns Lashoff to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manning Recalled, Iacopelli Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Third Straight Three-Game Weekend Opens on Home Ice Friday vs. Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Comes to Tucson for 1-2-3 Food Night and Harry Potter Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blues Recall Mackenzie MacEachern - San Antonio Rampage
- Senators Beat Cleveland for First Time in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Recall Goaltender Jean-Francois Berube from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Reassign Cederholm and Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Cornell, Gillam from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Fall to San Jose - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Goals Aplenty in Gulls' 7-4 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Quine Nets Three But Heat Fall 7-4 to San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Tie for Second in Division with 3-1 Win over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Defeated by San Antonio 5-4 Wednesday Night - Iowa Wild
- Stars Extend Home Point Streak in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- MacEachern Scores Twice in Record-Setting Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Lose for First Time in 2019 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1
- San Jose Barracuda Set to Debut Brand New Promotions During Its October 11th Home Opener
- Barracuda Shutout 5-0 in Season-Opener at Ontario
- Barracuda Sign Forward Krystof Hrabik