Admirals Lose for First Time in 2019
Milwaukee, WI - The Admirals saw their three-game winning streak come to an end as they lost for the first time in 2019 in a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday night at Panther Arena.
After the Griffins got on the board just 55 seconds into the game, Justin Kirkland tied the score with a quick one-timer from the slot for his fifth goal of the season at the 8:03 mark of the opening stanza. The play started when Jarred Tinordi held the zone at the Griffins blueline and sent the puck towards the goal where it hit Mathieu Olivier. From there Yakov Trenin found the loose puck and tapped it over to Kirkland for the tally.
However, the Griffins were able to regain the lead before the end of the period as Axl Holmstrom potted his ninth goal of the season with just over four minutes to play in the first for a 2-1 advantage.
That would be all the scoring for the game until the Griffins Matt Puempel scored on an empty net from 180 feet away with 61 seconds to go in the game.
Milwaukee failed to score in their two power-play opportunities, but killed off three Grand Rapids man advantages.
Troy Grosenick played well in net for Milwaukee, stopping 29 of 31 shots that he saw, but suffered the loss. Despite the defeat this was the sixth time in his past seven starts that the Brookfield native has allowed two or fewer goals.
The Admirals are off until they host the San Diego Gulls on Saturday night at 7 pm at Panther Arena. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550, or online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Join the Griffins for Toy Night and a Rubik's Cube Giveaway against Milwaukee Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz to Host Book Signing at Hogs Game February 1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Assigns Lashoff to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manning Recalled, Iacopelli Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Third Straight Three-Game Weekend Opens on Home Ice Friday vs. Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Comes to Tucson for 1-2-3 Food Night and Harry Potter Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blues Recall Mackenzie MacEachern - San Antonio Rampage
- Senators Beat Cleveland for First Time in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Recall Goaltender Jean-Francois Berube from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Reassign Cederholm and Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Cornell, Gillam from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Fall to San Jose - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Roll Past Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Goals Aplenty in Gulls' 7-4 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Quine Nets Three But Heat Fall 7-4 to San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Tie for Second in Division with 3-1 Win over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Defeated by San Antonio 5-4 Wednesday Night - Iowa Wild
- Stars Extend Home Point Streak in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- MacEachern Scores Twice in Record-Setting Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Lose for First Time in 2019 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.