Sandler Scores Twice as K-Wings Fall 4-3
Toledo, OH. - Luke Sandler scored twice for Kalamazoo but a third period rally came up just short as the K-Wings fell 4-3 on Friday night.
Luke Sandler netted his first ECHL multi-goal game, scoring his eighth and ninth goals of the season in the defeat. Kalamazoo scored a power play goal for the tenth straight game. The K-Wings (31-26-2-2) remains in fourth place in the Central Division, two points ahead of fifth place Wheeling, and one point behind third place Fort Wayne.
The Walleye jumped out to an early lead, scoring just 0:50 into the opening frame to take the 1-0 lead. Bryan Moore capitalized on early pressure in front of the net to get the visitors on the board. Four minutes later the K-Wing power play struck for the tenth straight game to tie the game. Luke Sandler collected a rebound on the right side of the net, wristing a shot past Pat Nagle at the 4:46 mark to tie the game at 1-1. Playing four-on-four the Walleye struck to retake the lead. Chris Crane tipped a Matt Register right in front of the net, placing it past Kulbakov for the 2-1 lead.
In the middle frame the Walleye extended the lead to two goals scoring 4:15 into the period. Brenden Kotyk's sixth goal of the season from the point gave Toledo the 3-1 lead. Trailing by two late in the period Luke Sandler netted his second goal of the night. Tipping a puck in front of the cage past Nagle, Sandler notched his first multi-goal game of his ECHL career. Just 0:21 seconds later though the Walleye extended the lead back to two-goals. Hunter Smith wrapped the puck around to the far post just sneaking the puck past Kulbakov with 2.5 seconds left to give the Walleye the 4-2 lead after the second.
In the third period Zach Diamantoni netted the only goal of the period collecting a rebound in the high slot and sending it past Nagle, to bring Kalamazoo within one at 9:00 of the third. Kalamazoo wouldn't get on the board again however as the Walleye closed out the 4-3 victory.
Ivan Kulbakov finished the night with 32 saves on 36 shots, while Pat Nagle stopped 18 of 21. Kalamazoo finished the night one-for-four on the man-advantage.
The K-Wings are back in action tomorrow night in Cincinnati continuing a three-in-three weekend against the Cyclones.
Kalamazoo Wings full season tickets are available now for the 2019-20 season! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 15, 2019
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Late Push Falls Short in Loss at KC - Wichita Thunder
- Reading Beats out Indy 5-2 in Pennsylvania - Indy Fuel
- 52 Shots Not Enough for Stingrays in 6-3 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reichenbach's 49 Saves Sting South Carolina - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Hammer Nailers in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Kick off Weekend with the Right Stuff in 5-2 Win in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Sandler Scores Twice as K-Wings Fall 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Continue Strong Play at Home in 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- 5,747 Watch Royals Empty Fuel's Tank, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Thunder 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 15 - ECHL
- Mariners Sign Holy Cross Defenseman Coughlin - Maine Mariners
- Quack Packs on Sale Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Looks to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Tonight in KC - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Host Externship for Local Teachers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Final Twelve Games Kick off in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Mental Health Awareness Night Kicks off First of Two vs. Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose Another Close One - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 2-1 Loss to RC - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- K-Wings Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players
- Kalamazoo Wings to Host Fan-Designed Jersey Contest
- K-Wings Announce NHL Affiliation with Columbus Blue Jackets
- Toni Will Named to ECHL Board of Governors' Executive Committee
- K-Wings Represented on Third Consecutive Stanley Cup Champion